Chapter 10

VISIONER

The timeline had shifted. The visions of Visioner's winglet coming to save Brightness had disappeared. The one of a happy ending, with him and Brightness basking in sunlight and eating papayas was gone, along with the ones of him standing over Brightness's grave. He knew it should be a good thing, but...

In almost all the futures, Brightness was facing the rest of the world, destroying everything in her way.

Including their father.

And the sudden sweep of vanishing and appearing visions were gone, replaced by...

His scales were a black that seemed to shift in the sunlight, and his wings were scattered with rainbow-colored stars. 

I'm the hybrid in Jade Winglet.

Peacemaker.

His talons trembled with fury that was not his. A tingling sensation filled his body like starbursts.

Dark, violent starbursts that threatened to explode his insides. The world was growing smaller...or was he growing bigger?

His scales turned darker and darker, and the colorful scales he owned turned silver. He felt a chilling wave of coldness on the edges of his wings, and he twisted around to see that they were an ice-blue not unlike an IceWing's.

Ah, Peacemaker thought faintly. I'm turning into the most dangerous dragon that had ever existed on Pyrrhia.

The last thought he had before his mind was swallowed by darkness and fury and cold, deep betrayal was:

I'm Darkstalker.

MINK

After a while of watching, Mink saw that the horrible twitching movement Visioner was doing was slowing down, and his red eyes closed. A moment later, he opened them again, and this time, to Mink's relief, they were back to the sharp purple she knew. 

"Visioner!" Mink cried. "Are you okay? You suddenly fainted and then you started jerking and twitching and then-"

"Mink," Visioner breathed. "I'm okay. I'm fine. I just wasn't feeling very well. It happens sometimes, but it's nothing serious."

Mink swallowed back tears, and managed to choke out, "I was worried you would never wake up."

"I'm okay." Visioner smiled at her tiredly. 

"Save all of the sappy romantic stuff for later," Anemone interrupted. "We need to rescue Brightness and whoever else is in that cave."

Mink cringed inwardly at the words, but pretended to not notice. Visioner gave her a sideways glance, but Mink ignored him.

"Let's go," Visioner said, and took off into the air. Mink spread her wings and lifted off into the air after him.

After all this is over, I could finally confess to Visioner that I love him.

If we survive.