7. Atonement

Photo Made using Bing AI

9:01 PM

King Beast Royal Ballroom, Auradon City, Auradon

   Carlos had met so many people today that his hand was beginning to hurt. Can you break a handshaking other people's hand? Many people tried to dodge the topic of what happened this morning. Other people told him how brave and sorry they were. Others shit-talked Snow White in front of him. Jay never left his side... Carlos didn't mind, though. Jay looked so adorable in a tux. His muscles bulged almost as if he were making a sudden movement, and his shirt sleeves would pop.

   He hadn't seen Ben or Mal for the entire party. At least Evie came to him to hug him and hung out for a little. Hopefully, if Carlos stayed for 30 more minutes, he could duck out and pass it off as tired and falling asleep.

   Ben walked up to them, holding a girl's hand, and his parents were behind him... the King and Queen. Carlos was starstruck by the King and Queen. He didn't even notice the girl tackling him into a hug.

   "Oh, Carlos! You are so brave! And strong! And Cute!" She said, and Carlos widened his eyes. Ben chuckled and patted her on the back. "We are going to be the best of friends. I promise you, Carlos! We can talk about makeup and dresses and boys!" She squealed happily; Jay tried to hold his laughter. Carlos hated doing all that stuff.

   "Oh, fun," Carlos smiled. He was too nice to do anything else.

   "Carlos, Jay, this is my girlfriend, Audrey Rose," He explained.

   "Princess Audrey Rose," She smiled, "Isn't that right, Benny Boo? We are engaged to be engaged," She smiled, and Carlos raised his eyebrow, confused.

   "In tenth grade, there was a Royal Cotilion; whoever you ask is promising you to be engaged in the future," he explained. "Also, these are my Parents, King Adam and Queen Belle," He said, standing up formally. Surprisingly, Jay stood up straight and saluted him.

   "Oh, Please, Jayar, this is a Royal Party. Enough with the formality," King Adam chuckled, loving every second. Jay made a good impression. "Carlos, how is your ankle?" King Adam asked him. Queen Belle wrapped her arm tightly around the King and gave Carlos the most heartbreakingly sympathetic look. "How are you doing?"

   "With all due respect, Sir... I am tired of people asking me how I am today," Carlos sighed, and then he gulped, "Uh shit... shoot! I am sorry, King Beast... I mean King Adam!" He rambled as the King rumbled with laughter.

   "Attaboy, don't ever feel sorry for expressing your feelings," King Adam chuckled, and Carlos was relieved, "King Beast?"

   "That's what we called you on the Isle..." Jay said that when Carlos had a frog in his throat,

   "Ah, I see. Queen Belle and I have to see a few people before we leave. It was nice meeting you two. I hope you find a home in Auradon." King Adam smiled and patted Carlos on the back, "We will look into punishment for that Wolf... okay?" King Adam told him, and Carlos nodded.

   "Thank you," Carlos whispered.

   "I'm afraid I have to make rounds as well... have you been out to the balcony yet?" Ben asked.

   "It has the most wonderful look over Auradon," Audrey told them.

   "We will wheel on out there then." Jay smiled at them as they said their goodbyes.

   "They are nice..." Carlos said.

   "Yeah... too nice, I don't believe it," Jay muttered. Carlos had to agree. Nobody, even AKs, was sweet and syrupy like everyone they had met. Snow White had proved that.

(Trigger Warning: Brief Graphic Violence)
   As they made their way out to the balcony, they noticed everyone was silent and looking in one direction: the Isle of the Lost. Jay wheeled Carlos to the only two girls with natural Purple and Blue Hair, curious to see what was happening.

   "Hey, Guys, What's going on?" Carlos asked, and Evie looked back at him with a worried look. Even Mal had the same concern in her eyes.

   "Um... maybe we should go back inside," Mal said.

   "Why?" Jay asked, and the two girls glared at him. Carlos didn't know what was happening but wanted to know if it involved him.

   He looked closer at the people. Have some of them had binoculars, all looking in the same spot where the invisible bridge met the Isle? Was someone trying to escape? He looked to his side, seeing a pair of binoculars sitting on the ledge. He picked them up and looked through them.

   "Carlos! No..." He heard Ben shout to him as he ran out towards them. Mal and Evie tried to take the Binoculars from him, but it was too late. He had seen what everyone was looking at. People on the Isle had all gathered around the entrance... Mr. Wolf, with a tied rope around both arms and a dozen people, were pulling each end, going opposite ways... he was bloody and screaming in pain. He saw that he had been the last one. Twelve bodies were lying below him, lifeless.

   "Shit... d-did you know about this?" Carlos quickly let Mal and Evie take the Binoculars away from him.

   "Of course not... I just heard about it. I ran to warn you," Ben sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose..." He said, and Carlos looked back to the Isle. Vans were going down the bridge of the Isle, reporter vans. "I think they are trying to avenge you..." Ben told him.

   "Why would they do that... I don't want this..." Carlos told him.

   "I know, I just... Jay, take him back to your dorm," Ben pet circles on Carlos' back soothingly, "You girls go with him... I'm sorry this is happening. I will deal with it,"

   "Just make sure the children there are safe..." Evie told Ben, and he nodded in agreement. They could hear a helicopter flying over them as they returned to the building. All eyes were on them.

   "I still want to go back there, Mal..." Carlos muttered. Mal opened her mouth, but the others looked at her and told her not to reply.

   "Carlos... I love you," she told him. It was so quiet and out of character that they all stopped to look back at her. Mal never said the words, love. "I love all of you... I want my mom's love too..." she spoke. Jay and Evie looked to Carlos for a response.

   "I love you too, Mal... we will talk about it later," Carlos leaned his arm on his wheelchair, exhausted... when would there be a normal day on Auradon?
Please Vote, Comment, Add to your reading list, and share with your friends:)