xvii. newbrooke saves the day

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘-𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃'𝐕𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐅𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐘, if there weren't about nine more who were in their right minds and wanted to kill them. 

He was screaming and banging into things, toppling grandfather clocks and overturning desks, bawling and confused, while the glass cabinet that Raya now suspected had contained Time-Turners continued to fall, shatter, and repair itself on the wall behind them.

"He's never going to notice us," Harry whispered. "C'mon... keep close behind me."

They crept out of the office and back toward the door into the black hallway, which now seemed completely deserted. They walked a few steps forward, Neville tottering slightly due to Hermione's weight. The door of the Time Room swung shut behind them, and the walls began to rotate once more. 

Raya blinked, the exertion of all that energy starting to catch up to her. She took a deep breath, the world refocusing around her. She suppressed a groan as she realizes Hermione's fiery crosses had now faded.

"So which way d'you reck—"

But before they could make a decision as to which way to try, a door to their right sprang open and three people fell out of it.

"Ron!" croaked Harry, dashing toward them. 

"Ginny!" Raya ran towards the youngest Weasley, who was looking pale and unsteady.

"Harry," said Ron, giggling weakly, lurching forward, seizing the front of Harry's robes and gazing at him with unfocused eyes. "There you are... Ha ha ha... You look funny, Harry. You're all messed up."

Ron's face was very white and something dark was trickling from the corner of his mouth. Next moment his knees had given way, but he still clutched the front of Harry's robes, so that Harry was pulled into a kind of bow.

"Ginny?" Raya said fearfully. "What happened?"

But Ginny shook her head and slid down the wall into a sitting position, panting and holding her ankle.

"I think her ankle's broken, I heard something crack," whispered Luna, who was bending over her and who alone seemed to be unhurt. "Four of them chased us into a dark room full of planets, it was a very odd place, some of the time we were just floating in the dark—"

"Harry, we saw Uranus up close!" said Ron, still giggling feebly. "Get it, Harry? We saw Uranus — ha ha ha—"

A bubble of blood grew at the corner of Ron's mouth and burst.

"Anyway, one of them grabbed Ginny's foot, I used the Reductor Curse and blew up Pluto in his face, but..." Luna gestured hopelessly at Ginny, who was breathing in a very shallow way, her eyes still closed.

"I've got you," Raya put a hand on Ginny's leg.

She opened up her senses, feeling Ginny's bones and muscles contracting around a certain spot.

"Yeah, it's definitely broken," Raya confirmed.

She had already spent so much energy on partially healing Neville and Hermione, she wasn't sure how much she had left to spare. But Ginny was in pain, and she couldn't leave her that way.

She muttered a hymn to Apollo, nearly doubling over when it was over.

Raya was pale and sweaty, but Ginny's eyes had cleared, and even if her bone wasn't fixed, a lot of the pain was gone.

"And what about Ron?" said Harry fearfully, as Ron continued to giggle, still hanging off the front of Harry's robes.

"I don't know what they hit him with," said Luna sadly, "but he's gone a bit funny, I could hardly get him along at all."