xxx. lost in the stars

𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐒' 𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐃.

Raya wasn't sure when exactly, but it'd become tradition to try and stick fries in Thomas' hood during the Welcome Feast. The others did it year round as well, but Nate and Elias had a bet going on while they did it at the Welcome Feast.

Raya looked up as some of the students from her house began to whisper, following their gaze to see a familiar figure practically run from the entrance to the Gryffindor table.

"Why'd Harry come in so late?" Cierra asked, furrowing her brows. "I thought he was on the train — you and Thomas saw him at the Slug Club, didn't you?"

"Yeah, he was there," Thomas confirmed.

"He probably went somewhere before the feast," Raya shrugged. "He was on the train this time, no flying car. I guess he forgot something and doubled back?"

"Mom thinks he's the 'Chosen One'," Cierra muttered. "Honestly, I think it's just more bullshit that the Daily Prophet wants to feed to the people to try and cover up how much shit they spread about him last year."

A few of Raya's friends nodded in agreement, not trusting anything the Daily Prophet put out there. 

Dumbledore got to his feet at the staff table. The talk and laughter echoing around the Hall died away almost instantly.

"The very best of evenings to you!" he said, smiling broadly, his arms opened wide as though to embrace the whole room.

"What happened to his hand?" gasped Cierra.

She was not the only one who had noticed. Dumbledore's right hand was as blackened and dead-looking as the steak Travis and Connor once tried to make.

Whispers swept the room; Dumbledore, interpreting them correctly, merely smiled and shook his purple-and-gold sleeve over his injury.

"Nothing to worry about," he said airily. "Now... to our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you..."

"He's one of the strongest Wizards in the world, and he's walking around with a charred arm," Raya muttered more to herself. 

"Maybe he hasn't gotten a chance for Pomfrey to fix it yet," Thomas suggested. "Apparently he's been running this secret Order thingy against You-Know-Who for a year now. I don't think he had much time to get his hand fixed."

"Point," Elias agreed, discreetly sticking another fry in Thomas' hood.

Not wanting to speak about the Order — lest she accidently reveal it ran from her ancestral home — Raya merely nodded.

"... and Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shop called Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes."

Raya grinned wickedly, "You'd think by now Filch'd have realized that telling us not to do something, only makes it worse."

Raya friends laughed in response, the conversation about Dumbledore and the Order momentarily forgotten.

"Those wishing to play for their House Quidditch teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual," he continued. "Quidditch Captains, please meet with your heads of house by the end of the first week for a list of names. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, who should do likewise."

"I keep forgetting Lee graduated," Cierra muttered. "It's gonna be weird not hearing his completely biased commentary."

Raya hummed in agreement, only now realizing how different Hogwarts would be this year. At the podium Dumbledore continued.