Chapter 4

Iris froze when she heard Porter say that district eleven was next. She didn't want to face the sad families of little Rue, or even Thresh. They both had a really big impact on Iris's mental state, whether it was nightmares or daydreams.
Iris got up from where she was sitting on the couch and had to go to her room. She wanted to cry but all her tears had been used up from previous nights of pain and trauma. She just brought her knees to her chest as she sat on her bed. She couldn't be sad so she decided to have no emotion and just push those sad feelings down. Iris then sprawled out in the middle of her bed and for once she cleared her mind. She just laid there with nothing but darkness in her mind.

  Iris then heard her door open but she didn't even have enough energy to raise her head up and look. She then felt a body crawl on top of her and rest their head on her chest and tangle up their legs and arms. "You okay." Clove mumbled into Iris's chest. Iris didn't respond, instead she just wrapped her arms around Clove and held her tight. "Do you wanna talk about it." Clove once again mumbled into her chest. "No, and besides I'm not very good at talking." Iris said never looking down at Clove. Clove raised her head up and just looked at Iris. Iris didn't look back down at her afraid of what emotion she would be met with in those beautiful brown eyes. "Who told you that?" Clove asked almost irritated. "Oh please, I have never really gotten people to like me or in other words want to be friends with me." Iris said back playfully trying to change the mood of the conversation. But Clove didn't want to change the conversation so she stayed in the same tone as before. "You got me to like you." "Well yeah but that's different." "Oh different how." Clove asked as her eyebrow raised. "You.......you were just different." "Oh so now I'm different." Clove asked pestering. "No, no that's not what I meant, what I meant was you didn't act like you were going to kill me from the start. You had this sort of glow in your eye that made you stand out from the others." Iris looking down at Clove. Clove didn't say anything she just looked at Iris with that same glow in her eye. "See that one right there." Iris said trying to sit up. Clove got the hint and got off of Iris sitting next to her. "What glow, I mean I can't see it." Iris rolled her eyes at Clove. "Well I know that I was just saying you have that glow right now." Clove just smiled at Iris with that loving, bright smile. It was all Iris could do not to roll onto her and just hug her and kiss her all over with sweet kisses.

   Porter came bursting into the room before Iris could make a move. Iris and Clove both jumped and looked at him. "Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt........ you know what nevermind, but I was just coming in here to see if you two were getting ready. And clearly you are not." "Ok I understand coming to check on us and stuff but do you have to burst through the door and scare us, you know there is this thing called knocking." Iris said as Clove jabbed her in the ribs. "What I'm just saying." Iris whispered as Clove jabbed her. Porter just gave her a look before walking out of the room to go and talk again. "You know you are not very nice to people. Oh maybe that's why you can't make very many friends." Clove said teasing Iris. "Yeah yeah, but you put up with me and I am nice to you." Iris said playfully back at Clove. "Well yeah but that's only because I have to." Clove fired back smiling. "Oh nope I'm going to get ready." Iris said getting up. "No no no I didn't mean it like that, please come back." Clove whined. Iris didn't say anything she just turned around and picked up Clove going to the bathroom to get ready.

    They were once again pushed into the little room while they waited, but this time Iris was actually nervous. Not because of giving a speech in front of a lot of people but it was just the fact that she had to see a giant picture of Rue and Thresh, like they were really there. She also didn't want to face their terrorizes families, they had to watch their own kid die and now they have to listen to someone give a speech about their kid.

The peace keepers came and got them and put them in front of a smaller door. Then they heard their names being called and they walked out. Iris looked out at the crowd trying to avoid the huge screens but it was impossible. She eventually looked at them and saw their faces. She saw Rues poor little innocent face on the screen and Thresh's face but every time she looked him all she saw was the frightened look in his eyes she saw the day he died. Clove walked up to the microphone after giving Iris's hand a little squeeze. Iris was relieved when she did because Iris might break down in the middle of her speech.