Least Favorite Relative

Request: who would have thought that our children will be marrying each other, they do not know that we are still in love after so many years. kaider

A/N: This makes more sense if you read the last three oneshots. 

Summary:

Her daughter had taken some precise timing to announce her engagement with the Emperor's second in line. It wasn't news as such to Cinder but it wasn't particularly the best of news she had heard that day. Cinder wasn't really against the idea of her daughter's happiness but the idea of Kai and her being a family 30 years later after their parting didn't feel fitting to her. 

"Don't deny what you feel, Daiyu. I know you have hated me your entire life now."

"I hated being your alternate, very true."

"I hate you for having the life I could have had."

Their hostility for each other had been an evident thing, they just didn't voice it out like normal do.

"I pray you don't try to ruin things for them." 

..

A short exchange between Cinder and Kai's wife, Daiyu upon hearing their children are engaged to each other.

//Cinder's Perspective-

"May I join you?"

"Oh," Cinder didn't mind the presence but she wanted to be alone at the moment. Especially after hearing this particular piece of information. However, she didn't want to come out as rude either so she politely agreed, "-surely you can."

"It's okay to decline if you don't want to talk."

"I didn't mean to do that. Besides no one declines the requests of an Empress."

"Revolutionaries are always having more powers than leaders."

"No one cares about things from the past once they are over, Daiyu." She pointed out bitterly.

Cinder wasn't power hungry but the helplessness with which she was being seen recently didn't sit with her. Talking with Kai's wife wasn't helping that either.

She was here attending the 40th anniversary of the Lunar Revolution. It's funny how time flies so fast: Cinder can't still seem to forget the hideous face of her aunt at times while Luna has conducted its 8th election this year. The celebration called for all the Rampion crew to be present along with notable world leaders- Kai along with his wife belonged to one category or another.

Her daughter had taken some precise timing to announce her engagement with the Emperor's second in line. It wasn't news as such to Cinder but it wasn't particularly the best of news she had heard that day. Cinder wasn't really against the idea of her daughter's happiness but the idea of Kai and her being a family 30 years later after their parting didn't feel fitting to her.

"You don't seem entirely happy with the news."

"As for my happiness, it matters little. If Astra is happy then I will support her throughout everything," she replied.

"I see," was the quipped reply.

Cinder didn't add on. It wasn't like she had wanted to have this conversation in the first place- it was Daiyu who decided to encroach on her solitude. She wished Julian was here to sugarcoat her words. However hard Cinder tried, she failed to keep a calm demeanour in Daiyu's presence even after all these years.

"Don't tell me you didn't know about their courting!"

"I never said I was unaware. I just didn't believe that it would be something more than that. I have had first-hand knowledge of all things broken."

"It was a low blow, Selene."

"I suppose it is acceptable."

"It doesn't do us well to dwell on the things from the-" before she could make any unfair assumptions, Cinder interrupted her, "It's better if we don't talk about it."

"Shouldn't you be happy?" Daiyu asked,

"For what exactly?" Cinder countered.

"Your daughter!" she said with more vigour than necessary.

This time it wasn't the Ex-Lunar Queen that uttered but rather a heartbroken mother in her, "I'm worried for her, finding joy has been hard for my clan."

"You don't have to sound so biased."

"I'm biased I have every right to worry for her. She is engaged to the second in line of the Eastern Commonwealth and however hard you or anyone else tries to convince me of everything being well, I won't get convinced. My engagement was very stable when it happened too. Astra still is a questionable candidate for your child when she is my daughter. The only fact that brings me some solace is the fact that she is engaged to the second-in-line, making her life slightly different and away from the limelight."

"It's been a little late for this conversation, I assume but we never really were civil with each other."

"I won't have tried to be friends with you if that's what you mean."

"When would you leave Kai alone? "

"I left him alone the day he married you- 29 years ago. I just don't want my daughter to go through the same and that isn't very challenging for you to understand as a mother, Daiyu."

The conversation had taken a turn for the worse, Cinder didn't want to ponder on things from the past that had been very difficult to let go of in the first place.

"I didn't like the idea when Ri started going out with your daughter, I despised it. If things went on to be something certain between them it would mean that you and Kai would become closer and some insecurities don't go away however hard you try."

"Even you don't find happiness in them- imagine what the people would have to say."

"I didn't -"

"Don't deny what you feel, Daiyu. I know you have hated me your entire life now."

"I hated being your alternate, very true."

"I hate you for having the life I could have had."

Their hostility for each other had been an evident thing, they just didn't voice it out like normal do.

"I still can't believe Ri wants to marry Astra," she said, her voice filled with astonishment.

"I pray you don't try to ruin things for them."

"I care for my-" before she could say much, there was a shrill voice calling for Cinder. It was Julian, she looked between the two individuals.

"Excuse me, but I seem to be called," her voice, completely bland, not even a single hint to their conversation from before.

Cinder didn't bother to hear a reply- if this marriage was going to occur she knew who her least favourite relative was already.

__

That's all for this continued oneshot, be sure to comment, cause I love to hear from you guys. Taking requests on Tumblr under just2bubbly. 

Tyla