It's All Kismet

Summary:

"You never know if it's an engagement ring," he reacted, trying to find a way out of the mishap he orchestrated.

Kai is caught in a mishap, as Cinder finds the engagement ring he had been hiding and forces him to propose- his prolonged reaction makes her take matters in her own hands to be betrothed.

...

Kai's Perspective-

Kai sat at the side table that separated the living space from the kitchen, writing the speech for the Commemorative Ceremony of Kese Peace, consumedly lamenting his career choice.

Working as a publicist for a Senator was wild already. Still, when your employer had a knack for causing a famous racket every other week it was troublesome enough. However, the paycheck was way more appealing than the work and that's one reason Kai has been loyal to his job for years.

While he worked with his diplomatic skills to say 'It ain't necessarily so fucked up' to make a clearance for another of Truss's events, his girlfriend rummaged through the kitchen attempting to make a meal.

Thud, came a loud noise of utensils crashing, causing Kai to stir from his work.

"Are you okay, Cin?", he asked, eyes skimming above his laptop screen.

"Oh-- don't worry, just being clumsy," she replied hurriedly.

"Be careful also let's not have an adventure tonight," he joked, before suggesting, "We could order in if you want," general concern for his meal heightened.

"Stuff it, Kai. I can cook decent!" She exclaimed, slamming one of the cabinet doors to add to the theatrics.

"Tell that to the last time you almost burnt the kitchen down," he sass-ed.

"Fuck you," she yelled back, making him laugh as he continued to scrutinize his draft, the conversation forgotten. There wasn't much noise from the kitchen later. Up until there was a clamorous sound of glass shattering.

Kai was out of his seat, stepping into the kitchen, "Cinder I said no adventure," he said, trying to take in any harm that might have occurred.

Shards of glass lay all around but Cinder paid little heed to it as she was enraptured by something inside the cupboard. He bent down to her level taking in her pale face, and asked, "Why do you look like you saw a ghost?"

No sooner had he spoken those words, than he saw the object that had made his lover so dumbstruck.

"Oh," he says, his mind trying to work up on how much he has fucked it up. His faint outburst, seemed to have snapped her out of her state as she bellowed, "Just oh, Kai?"

"What else should I say?" He countered, eyes boring holes into the dark blue box.

She spun around frowning at him, brows furrowing like they always do when she tried to keep her words in check, "Maybe doing a decent job of hiding the engagement ring?"

"You never know if it's an engagement ring," he reacted, trying to find a way out of the mishap he orchestrated.

"Then why hide it in the corner of a kitchen cupboard?"

Kai looks down, realising how hiding the ring in the flour cabinet was a poorly coordinated decision. He had always been clueless about keeping things hidden from his loved ones. Yet, he didn't want the ring to end up in the socks drawer, that was too cliche for his liking. When he had the idea, he was quite convinced that Cinder wouldn't voluntarily go looking for stuff in the kitchen; if she ever did he was always around to ensure that she didn't look into that specific area of cabinets. 'Look where that got me, well planned Kai,' he thought.