Where Family Begins

Summary

"What are you going to do if I can't have kids?" 

"This isn't really about having kids, is it?" He asked, quietly, moving away to sit beside her, Cinder felt the absence of his warmth, longing for it. 

"They might have said how you would be encouraged to remarry."

Sometimes Cinder wonders what will Kai be asked to do if she fails to be a mother. On those days, she needs someone to tell her that it's all going to be ok. 

...

Cinder's Perspective:

"Miss Selene, what do you want to say over the fact that you manipulated the Emperor into marrying you?"

Why avoid getting Linh's device? Is it because this will prevent you from controlling—"

"Will the prosthetics provide a hindrance in producing an heir?"

"Are you planning on covering your hand using skin grafting? Is that going to make you feel less ugly?"

"Lunars are back- you're no less than your tyrant aunt!"

People bombarded her with all these questions and remarks as soon as she left the hall. The flashes were so bright that she closed her eyes in retaliation - the harsh glare of it made her turn around.

"The press conference is over. Please make way for Her Majesty," the media chairperson behind her announced.

The reporters were forced to take down the lights, but his words had little impact as the cameras continued to be on. Cinder opened her eyes, and it took a while to adjust to the bright lightning of the room, which was the contrast to the dark nothingness that lay behind her closed eyes.

Her retina scanner looked at the faces of individuals around her and gave unnecessary databases.

"Miss Blackburn-" someone yelled, sticking the recorder in her face. Her infographics gave her name 'Alayan Chein' along with basic information and a title that read "The Lunar Queen will kill us ". He seemed to ask a question, but Cinder was too lost to pay attention to it.

It was clear that her lunar or cyborg identity, or perhaps both, made them despise her deeply. She noted how there wasn't the comforting blinking of an orange light at the corner of her eye. She was reeling. She was supposed to focus, put her steps forward and get out of this place.

"We hate you stuck-up Lunars!"

"-the ugly prosthetics make you so unloveable."

"Show us your true face, Empress. Tell us about your greed."

She shut her eyes, compelling herself to breathe through a nose.

In. Out. In. Out.

It didn't help any, and the voices kept growing louder. Unsure if voices were in her head or from reporters. She could not hear the beating of her heart- breathe breathe b r e a t h e

Stars! She couldn't have a panic attack in the middle of the paparazzi!

"Enough!"

Someone shouted and what followed was a much-needed silence. She wasn't sure that the person shouting was herself or the media chairperson. She couldn't remember his name-

"All of you out now or I will suspend each of your broadcasting rights tonight," someone ordered.

This voice was calmer, controlled. Familiar, yet somehow distant. She wanted to open her eyes and look for herself, but she was beyond scared to do it.