Distant Memories

Summary

"He invited me and Cress, well, to the New Year's Dinner. He says 'It's for the old time's sake'.

Thorne and Cinder talk about an invitation that has come along after a long time, discussing and remembering of lifetime they had shared with a certain Emperor.

...

Cinder's Perspective: 

"Stars above, I'm so full," Thorne groaned, stretching his legs to pop the joints that had been sitting for a while now.

"For once I agree, it was a lovely meal," Scarlet adds in praise.

Cinder and Julian murmur their thanks, both quite pleased with the work they had done. Julian grins at her and mouths a 'told you so' making Cinder roll her eyes. She had freaked over making dinner at such short notice for all of them, Julian had assured her on multiple accounts but it was unheard of. Cinder wasn't necessarily great in the kitchen, more times than not she broke dishes and glassware unknowingly. Her metal hand held the containers too tightly, resulting in cracks that made the container and food stored within discard-worthy.

"I'd get this cleaned. You spend time with them," Julian told her as he collected the used cutlery.

"You don't have to. Let me help you, I'll spend time with them later. Besides all of them are staying for a while." She argued back, removing the leftovers in small containers. They might reheat it and consume it tomorrow. Julian always said that "leftovers taste the best" to which she begrudgingly agreed.

"Love, if the signs are right, Thorne would be out before we are done. So go, I have this covered," he said nudging her out of the kitchen. She goes on her toes and kisses him, giving in to his requests as she mumbles an 'I love you', a sense of happiness setting over as she joins the most reckless people she has come to love.

"Would you guys like to do something?" She asked, they had some board games from Julian's childhood in the basement. It could be fun to play them with a large crowd, she thought.

"Cinny, I'd love to join you, but I have eaten enough to sleep for days. You guys continue without me," Scarlet admits, Cinder chuckles softly, hugging Scarlet through her large belly. She shows Wolf and Scarlet to the guest room.

As she walks down, she thinks how not many would be eager to play a competitive game on the heavy meal they had had. She is surprised to see the crowd she returns to, Cress and Iko are glued to the screen watching some romcom. Jacin and Winter are nowhere to be seen, so she assumes they have decided to call it a night too.

Thorne is sprawled on the couch from where he calls her, "I'd- well I wanted to talk about something."

Cinder's interest peaks as she joins him on the couch, forcing him to sit to make room for her.

"Go on," she tells him, Thorne glances at his wife and Iko sitting on the thick carpet and towards the kitchen before saying, "Maybe somewhere alone."

This alarms Cinder, she is on her feet in an instance suggesting if the backyard is good enough. Thorne nods as he follows her out through the back door. The chill of a November night stills them, the icy breeze blowing in their face.

"Do you want to go out in the cold?"

"Not the worst I have faced," Thorne addresses, passing her as he walks barefoot on the lawn. The dew on the grass blades feels cool against her skin, the moisture sipping through.

"What's this about?" She asks, diving straight into the topic. She wasn't the one to beat around the bush, her nerves couldn't support the anticipation. She skimmed through the chats they had had in the recent week, trying to find something that Thorne might have dropped that reflected something being out of place.