Clandestine Visits

Summary: 

"Dark lines, not scattered at all. You would not take many lovers in this life. No heartbreaks for you."

...

In moments of busy schedules, Cinder and Kai take out time to visit the marketplace. Their evening takes a turn when they meet a mystic lady, some felicities are better kept uncovered.

Cinder's Perspective: 

She was huddled on the lush bed, her mind lost in thought as she gazed at the dark blue ceiling over her. This small moment of relaxation had not been taken for granted as she had fewer of these in recent months.

Cinder had taken the immaculate opportunity to throw out her extravagant heels as soon as she was in the safety of closed doors. She had been going on parading herself, politely shaking hands, smiling till her cheeks hurt and doing more of the same on the next day for the last 2 months. Going from one union to another- meeting their leaders, signing treaties, going to meet Lunars that had come through, working in and out of offices for her nation.

Without having to say, Cinder had been exhausted.

Now she seemed to have found herself in The Commonwealth, next to someone she was rather fond of. Her work didn't make her inside quench as much as the sight of Kai did. Distance and time do stuff to you that cannot be put into words.

There was a knock at the door, three taps before it was opened. She didn't bother to wake up, already guessing who had disturbed her.

"I was thinking," she said, feeling the bed dip in beside her.

"Yes," he muttered, staring at her.

"I want to go out."

"The marketplace?" She hums in confirmation.

"Well you can go anytime you want to, I can make clearance for you if you desire."

"I know. I'm not sure if I want to see how much life has changed in the last year."

"It's changed quite some, true. Even your shop has got some interesting modifications," he mentioned.

Now that got her curious as she rolled closer to him, "What do you mean?"

"Maybe you should see it for yourself," he said, cushioning his head at the nape of her neck.

"You know I can't just vanish anymore."

"But I can," he said, holding back a smile.

"You want to go undercover?"

"Don't make it sound so mysterious. Just look around for some time and come back. No one usually notices," he explained.

"How often do you do this, Emperor Kaito?" she asked in astonishment.

"Often enough that Torin knows about it," he explained rather casually.

"And he doesn't seem to get a seizure out of your safety?" She asked, feeling incredulous, Mateo, her personal secretary would kill her if she pulled a stunt like that.

"I have help minutes away if things go wry. Besides, the marketplace is a shabby place for the Emperor's kidnapping."

"No one gets kidnapped in a fancy place," she said with little wit.

"That's beside the point, would you be coming along?"

"I would be a fool to deny it," she said already moving.

He chuckled at her enthusiasm, "Cinder, not right away. I have got a meeting in 10 minutes and you have to be present at the signing at 1400." His words brought her back to the reality of the work remaining to be done. Her shoulders dropped down as her excitement got driven away.