Chapter Nine (Redone:July 2, 2023)

Ominis found me at lunch, hours after talking with Anne. The two of us had grabbed something small from our house tables before walking out to the courtyard and finding ourselves a quiet little place to chat though we were silent with one another. We had our hands intertwined together as we walked and it wasn't until we had stopped and settled into our little secluded areas and beside one another did we speak.

My eyes were cast down as I broke out silent. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" He pushed, though I knew he was aware of why I was apologizing. I'm sure he was only asking now for the clarification of what he was already speculating, of what he already knew to be true.

"I still have feelings for him, no matter how much I hate him for leaving me to bear the weight of pregnancy and then losing..." I couldn't find it within myself to finish the sentence. I had talked about Christopher once already today and though time had passed it still hurt. I shook my head, I was just happy I was able to speak without hesitation in regards of my feelings for Sebastian. Lying or dragging out the inevitable would only make this conversation worse and as much as I would like to push the feelings for Sebastian aside, I couldn't deny that I was still barboring a deep love for him. "I'm happy he and Anne are back and I wish my feelings for him were gone before they did, but I don't want to lie to myself or to you about what I feel toward him. But I am afraid of those feelings; I fear they will outweigh the ones I hold for you."

ominis nodded. "It would be a lie to say I didn't know you still held feelings for him, and like you, I wish those feelings were gone before he and Anne arrived. But if you'd like to strengthen our own, in hopes of pushing the love for him aside, then I say let us go on more dates." He was whispering like it was the biggest secret in the world. "We spend as much time together as humanly possible and I will ask now if you'll accompany me to the Yule ball in the coming months."

I smiled down at our hands that had remained clasped. "I'll need to find a dress."

"Yes, you will, darling." When I peaked up at him, I saw that he had a soft smile of his own plastered against his face and I could swear my heart melted at the sight before me. "Echo, every step you and I take together just know that I am here for however you'll take me. I will not give up on you easily, but if there is ever a day you wish to end our relationship to pursue a relationship with SEbastian then I will step aside. I want nothing more than to see you happy and however you want me in your life, I am yours."

I leaned over, pecking his lips as a deep blush found my face. "I love you and I don't know how I could have ever gotten a more perfect man."

"I am far from perfect my dear." He pressed his own kiss to my lips. "But you are beyond my wildest dreams and you are the one who is perfect."

"Bloody hell, you're both nauseating." Sebastian complained as he stood before us.

"Sallow, what are you doing here?" Ominis groaned, pulling away from me, facing the man who stood before us. "Have you found Anne yet?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm here actually." Sebatiand spoke softly, eyes finding me and my breath hitched in the back of my throat, something I knew wouldn't go unnoticed by Ominis. "She tells me that the two of you talked and of what you talked with her about."

"Are you alright with her choice?" I asked, praying she didn't say anything of Chirstopher.

"No, but if it means she's cured of the bloody cure than I don't give a fuck." He growled more to himself. "I'd like for us to meet in the undercroft within the hour if you both don't mind."

"Care to fill in the blanks?" Ominis prompted and I found myself turning to him again and speaking. "Anne found me and asked me to be the one to help with her cure."

Ominis' brows knit together. "But I thought Icarus was the one-"

"It's different." I interrupted. "They found a cure, the actual counter curse for what Rookwood cursed her with, and it means that Sunny and I don't have to use what ancient magic we possess."

"Amazing." Ominis mused just as Sebastian spoke up. "Echo, I'd like a moment to speak with you or at least before going to the undercroft."

I froze, was this where he would tell me he knows of our late secret child?

"Alright," I moved, pecking the cheek of the boy next to me as I pushed myself up from my spot next to Ominis, before hesitantly following Sebastian. What was it that he was wanting to speak about? Surely it can't be nothing more than going over what I'd be doing for his sister and not of Chirstopher? Right?

He guided me away from my other half, and I found myself getting more nervous the further I got away from him. It wasn't until Sebastian stopped, back to me as he looked out at the lake below us. He was silent for a moment before he spoke. "I know you looked for me the summer I left."

"That's not a secret, of course I did." I answered, wondering where this was going.

"Why?" He asked. "I did some truly unspeakable things and I went down a very dark path to achieve my goals. You didn't turn me into Azkaban when you should have. You let me sit with my choices and then searched for me when I disappeared. You shouldn't have looked for me and I really can't come up with a good enough reason you were looking."

"What do you wish for me to say?" I asked him. Did he want me to tell him I looked because I was in love with him? That I had found out I was pregnant and I wanted to kill him for leaving me? That I wanted to drag his dead body back to Hogwarts so that he could be the father he should be? "Regardless of what you've done, I was at fault for letting you get to the point you got to. And yes, I should have turned you in but you are one of my closest friends and I couldn't see you going there for something you thought was right at the time. I know you've learned from the past, though since I haven't seen you in so long I don't know if you have changed for the better, but I would stand by my decision even now. I still would not send you to Azkaban."

"There's more to that, I know there is." He told me. "I could have sworn Icarus would have pushed to send me off."

"He wanted to, but I asked him to trust my belief in you one last time." I told him. "I knew you'd be better and that you'd learn what consequences you'd be given using the unforgivable curses."

His brows knitted together. "No, that's not it."

"I think I know my own reasonings."

"You loved me." It was a fact rather than a question.

"And you still left me even after I gave myself fully to you." I spun on my heels, walking away from him and toward Ominis. I could hear Sebastian calling out to me, voice sounding broken but I was happy when I heard another voice. "Sallow, I think you and I need to have a little chat regarding what you have my sister doing for Anne."