Xiao🔥✨

"Can they make you feel this good...?"

It was getting dark. The sun was barely visible over the horizon only a few minutes from setting completely and you hoped you could make it to the Wangshu Inn before then.

On the way, you reflected on your journey. You have travelled to Sumeru a few weeks ago, in search of answers only the Akademia had the hope of finding.

***

After an unsuccessful few days of endlessly wandering the local libraries and pestering the scholars, you were down in the dumps, close to giving up. In your weakest moment, you had the luck of bumping into a certain Wanderer and a little girl... who you later found out was the local Archon... Awkward.

Seeing your 'pathetic' -as the Wanderer put it- expression, the two decided to help in your search. More like Lord Kusanali forced the Wanderer to help, but either way the work was getting done.

What at first felt like an impossible task, became child's play with the two's help.

Although Wanderer seemed largely displeased at the idea of helping a mere random m̶o̶r̶t̶a̶l̶ person, almost disgusted really, his interest was piqued the more research he had to help with. As plain as you looked, your questions were strange.

He would never admit it, but by the end, he was interested in whatever you were involved with. He wouldn't mind you coming back just so he could pick at your brain.

For that exact reason, when you were about to set out on your journey back to your home in Liyue, he basically forced a gift into your hands.

"Uh. What's this?" You cocked your head to the side in confusion. The object looked like a talisman, but you were unfamiliar with the markings on it.

"If you ever plan on showing your worthless face again, show this to one of those important idiots at the Akademia. They'll know where to send you." He explained dismissively with his arms crossed over his chest, a common stance for him to take.

'Ouch. Always gotta be such a brat, huh?' You thought, scrunching your nose in poorly disguised annoyance. Strangely, it felt like he was always looking down on you, no matter what your height was. As someone experienced at dealing with short immortal beings who had poor emotion management, you were almost sure that he'd happily break your knee caps if he had the chance.

"This isn't to be used for social calls. So don't come back unless it's important. Got it, m̶o̶r̶t̶a̶l̶?" He commanded, turning from you in a dramatic display of 'now fuck off'.

You stared at him for a second as he retreated from your sight, 'What in the Abyss is wrong with that guy? I swear... in his previous life, he must have been an ankle-biting chihuahua.'

***

You shook your head with a little snort, "knowing there's people like him, I'm glad the one I'm stuck with is just a chronic workaholic with poor self-preservation and karma induced murderous tendencies."

Now that you said it out loud, it didn't sound much better. You were just glad you were still out of earshot and thus didn't get bombarded by a bunch of weirded out looks.

Staring at the tall structure of Wangshu Inn, you contemplated taking the stairs, but decided to forgo more cardio after the long trip.

Keeping your mind busy while you waited for the elevator, you pulled out the strange talisman to try and figure out what the point of it was. A layman could just chalk it up to cool design for a business card, but you doubted the short ball of sass would take the time out of his day just to pass you his business card.