Prologue

"I am sure you're all curious as to why I have summoned you to my domain today," A deep voice boomed throughout the room, catching the attention of everyone inside. Despite not sounding angry, it almost seemed to shake the golden walls of their meeting area and rattle the crystal chandelier overhead.

Xiao couldn't remember the last time he had been invited into the space, or the last time anyone had, for that matter. As good natured as their leader was, he still kept his distance as much as possible, and the Yaksha respected that. If they had all been brought here out of the blue today, it must have been for something extremely important, and he worried just what Rex Lapis might have to tell them.

The rest of the Adepti, who had previously been talking quietly amongst themselves, now went completely silent as the familiar gold and brown dragon descended from above, taking his place at the top of the big round table. Immediately to his left was the Adeptus Streetward Rambler, who seemed the least confused out of everyone about the nature of this visit, and to his right, as always, was Xiao. Rex Lapis smiled at the Yaksha before turning back to the rest of the group.

"I apologize for the sudden request for a meeting," he continued, "but there are some important matters I must inform you of regarding the future of Liyue...And ourselves."

Xiao frowned now, afraid of what the Archon might say next. During the thousands of years he'd spent protecting Liyue, there had been few changes to the methods of the Adepti ever since the Archon War. But with how Rex Lapis was talking now, it seemed he had new, very big plans.

"I know we have not changed our ways in several millennia," the dragon continued, as if having heard his thoughts. At this point, Xiao wouldn't have been surprised if he actually had. "And I am aware that what I am about to propose may sound drastic, but I urge you to hear me out before you speak against it."

There was a pause as everyone prepared themselves. As if bracing for an attack that may knock them off their feet, all the Adepti present waited with baited breath.

"I have decided I would like to retire from being the Geo Archon." With that, it was like the domain had been hit by a meteor. Xiao could feel the breath in his lungs leave him as he snapped his head to the left, eyes wide as he searched Rex Lapis' face for any signs that this might be a joke. Of course, there were none. Why would someone as stoic as the Geo Archon himself jest about something as important as stepping down from his role?

It was clear that several of the others wanted to speak up, but they kept quiet instead, remembering his request that they fully hear him out first, as insane as he was beginning to sound.

"However, I would not be leaving you all alone completely," the Archon continued, "In fact, I would be retiring to make way for someone new to take my place. An heir, if you will."

At this, the Adepti could not stay quiet any longer. Never, in the thousands of years that Liyue had been around, had any of them heard of Rex Lapis possessing an heir.

"And who, prey tell, would this mystery heir be?" Cloud Retainer finally spoke up, "One has never heard of any such being in Liyue." Xiao had to agree. Since he was rescued by Rex Lapis way back during the Archon War, he had arguably been one of the closest people to the god, and even he had never once heard about the potential of an heir before today. As much as he could never doubt the decisions of his leader, he did have to admit that a surprise such as this sounded very suspicious.

"My only child," Rex Lapis admitted finally, "Though I am aware that I've never spoken of them before, I believe they are the one most fit to take my place and welcome a new age into Liyue."

"Why has one never mentioned having offspring before?" Moon Carver questioned, his deep voice booming so loud that Xiao wanted to cover his ears, but he was still too shocked from the news to move. Rex Lapis sighed, bringing the group's attention back to him.