11

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll wake up soon enough." Your ears picked up the sound of an unfamiliar voice, making your eyes instantly shoot open, despite the stabbing pain in your head as soon as you did so.

"See? I told you." The voice from before spoke again, and you glanced around to see that it belonged to a woman behind a desk not too far from you. She had light brown hair that had been tied back by a pretty braided style, and dark brown eyes that held a soft gaze as she looked at you. "Hello there, dear." She smiled sweetly, but you only frowned back in confusion.

It was then that you noticed the cold feeling on your forehead, and reached up to touch the ice pack someone had placed there as you slept.

Taking in the rest of your surroundings now that your eyes had adjusted a little better to the light, you realized you seemed to be in the lobby of an inn. Your body was delicately lain on a couch, and past the desk where the woman worked, you could see an empty balcony. Judging from the lack of light outside though, it seemed to still be late at night, so that made sense.

On the other side of the desk was a small staircase that led to a kitchen, and another set of stairs that led higher up, presumably to the guests' rooms. And, most annoyingly of all, a certain Adeptus was leaning against the wall next to your couch.

You scowled, but he wasn't looking at you, instead closing his eyes as if he had been trying to sleep. You wanted to roll your eyes, but you also knew doing so would only cause more sharp pains in your head, so you refrained.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?" The woman at the counter asked gently, coming out from behind it as she set some papers down.

When you didn't answer, only staring back at her suspiciously, she continued. "Your head should feel better in time, it's just a minor headache. But the ice will help it heal faster, so keep it on, okay?"

You nodded slowly, reaching up to make sure the ice pack didn't fall off. It was cold, but nothing compared to what you created with your delusion, so it wouldn't be a problem.

"This is the Wangshu Inn," the woman continued, "My name is Verr Goldet, the owner." She put a hand out and you shook it hesitantly, still slightly put off by her kind nature. She must not have realized you were fatui, otherwise she would be treating you very differently right now. "What's your name?"

"Y/n," you replied simply, sitting up on the couch to look at her better, "How did I get here?" You dreaded the answer, and the way she glanced to your right at Xiao didn't help.

"Xiao, here found you out in the marsh. Apparently you were passed out in a treasure hoarder camp, and he brought you back here to me," she smiled gently, but you didn't miss the look she sent him while she was talking, probably able to pick up on both the fact that you two already knew one another, and the fact that you had bad blood.

"I see." You replied simply, not wanting to look over at him and see the smug look you knew was inevitably covering his face.

Verr seemed to notice, because she sent him an intense glare. "Xiao, aren't you going to acknowledge our guest here?" He scoffed, opening his eyes now but still not looking at you.

"I thought you didn't need my help." He crossed his arms, "And yet here we are."

"I don't need your help." You spat back.

"I beg to differ, considering you fainted in front of a bunch of measly treasure hoarders." He snapped, finally looking over at you. You rolled your eyes now, unable to help it as your anger built from just being around him. You looked away, turning back to the brunette in front of you as you stood up abruptly.