19

You led Xiao and Zhongli towards the fatui camp, knowing that was most likely where the Tsaritsa would show up and wanting to contain any damage she might do to a minimum.

The closer you got, the more your heart pounded in your chest. Xiao seemed to notice, because he subtly took your hand, trying to help calm the both of you down as you walked. It helped, and you squeezed his hand gently, taking a deep breath to try and steady your nerves.

As much as you wanted to avoid a confrontation with the Tsaritsa in combat, you also knew that the likelihood of it happening anyway was high. Even with two Adepti by your side and the gnosis, you weren't sure you could survive a fight like that. She was an extremely strong Archon; you'd witnessed that many times before, and you'd always been glad not to be on the receiving side of that anger. Now, things were different.

The camp came into view, and you could see that the fatui had spotted you as well, pointing you out to the two harbingers still stationed there.

"I'll deal with those two." You told them. Zhongli nodded.

"When the Tsaritsa arrives, I will speak with her," he explained, "We may be able to come to a peaceful solution."

"I doubt it..." You admitted, "But if now, I'll deal with her."

"I will support you," Xiao added, squeezing your hand again. You nodded, trying to smile, but it came out looking more pained than you'd intended.

Finally, you reached the camp, and Signora instantly came out to greet you, followed by Childe.

"I trust you've heard the news, Y/n?" She asked, trying to hide the sadness in her voice at the idea of having to be your enemy. Even though she tried to put up a strong front for everyone else, you knew she didn't want this any more than you did.

"I did," you sighed, "I figured Her Majesty would want to see me, after everything."

"Of course, you've practically betrayed her, after all," Childe replied, a little bitter. Signora glared at him, making him shut up. Then, she turned back to you.

"Y/n, I can give you one more chance," she told you softly, "If you come back with us peacefully now, I will ensure Her Majesty does not harm you. If not...I cannot guarantee anything." Her expression darkened at the last part.

"So please, if you've gotten the closure you needed, come with us."

You sighed, shaking your head. She had expected that response, but it didn't make things any easier. The skirmishers that stood near her and Childe tightened their grips on their weapons, ready to fight, but she held up a hand to stop them.

"I'm not going back with you, Signora." You told her finally, standing firm in your decision. Zhongli took a step forward.

"I have broken the contract that once bound them to Snezhnaya. Therefore, they are no longer obligated to return to the fatui."

A few of the skirmishers sneered at him, but again, Signora put up a hand to silence them. Even Childe didn't respond, and you were thankful for the authority your friend held in this situation, even if it put you on even more opposing sides.

"Stand down," she told the group, "The Tsaritsa will arrive shortly, and she will handle them."

They did as they were told, backing off to take their seats and await the arrival of their leader. You were now extra aware of the lack of backup on your side, other than Xiao and possibly Zhongli, though you weren't sure whether he would jump into a fight against another god, should you need him.

"I hope everything works out for you, Y/n." Signora whispered, pulling you into a tight hug. You returned it, sensing Xiao stiffen behind you. You gestured for him to calm down, wanting to hug your best friend for what could very well be the last time.