Chapter 4

"Which dress do you think Jamar would like?", Naomi asked showing me two different dresses.
"I would go with the royal blue one", I replied.
She gave me a worried look.
"I don't know Maya, I'm kinda liking the red dress."
I rolled my eyes.
"Then choose the red one", I said with an attitude.
I walked over to her bed.
"What's your problem?"
"Nothing?"
"Mhmm, cuz who are you snapping at?", Naomi asked.
"I said it's nothing."
I tried to hide my jealousy for her. And to be honest, it had nothing to do with yesterday. It had everything to do with me not wanting her to be with Jamar. He deserves better. I know it sounds evil, but I don't think Jamar is really happy. I feel like he deserves a real woman. Someone who could actually satisfy him. And not just in a sexual way. In a way that would make him positive that he wouldn't want anyone else.
"Well I'm getting ready to leave. And you can't stay here", Naomi said.
"Fine."
She gathered her coat and we headed to her car.
The first five minutes was silent. Not a single word. It was like there was tension where it didn't need to be.
"Maya what's your problem?", Naomi asked breaking the silence.
"What are you talking about?"
"I'm talking about you getting an attitude with me like I did something to you", she replied.
"There is no problem."
"Really? Then why did you get smart when I asked you about which dress I should wear?", she questioned.
"Look Naomi, I'm just having a bad day ok? I'm sorry if I seemed rude earlier", I replied.
She scoffed and focused on the road.
"So, are you helping me tonight?"
I looked at her.
"You mean with the break in you and Jamar are doing?", I asked.
"Yeah."
I looked out the window.
"I'll pass."
"I knew it", she said.
"What?"
"You ain't gone help me because you think I'm "dragging" you and Jamar into this."
I sighed.
"Naomi I-"
"Uh uh save it!"
She pulled to the side of the road.
"Get out!"
"Naomi you-"
"Get out! Now!"
She unlocked the door and I got out.
Before I could say anything else she sped off. I was on the road by myself.
"Screw you!", I yelled.
I began to cry.
"This is what you get", I said.
"This is what you get for not being a true friend."
As I stood there crying, I felt a quick breeze behind me. I turned around and saw a dark figure.
"Who's there?", I asked.
The shadow came to light. It was Jamar. I couldn't believe my eyes. Was it really him? Was I imagining things.
"Jamar?"
"Hey", he replied stepping closer.
"How did you...you just.."
"Yeah I know."
"What are you doing here?", I asked.
"I overheard you and Naomi in the car."
"Oh."
"Yeah I can hear from miles away. It's part of being half beast."
"I'm glad you're here", I admitted.
"Oh?"
"Yeah. I tried to tell Naomi not to drag you into the break in."
He laughed.
"Do you really think I would pull a break in with her? Miss. AlwaysGetsCaught?", he said.
Hearing this was like music to my ears.
"Is that how you feel?"
"Of course it is. When I do break ins I never leave a trace", he replied.
I smiled.
"You're experienced."
"Very."
"I used to stand by Naomi's side every time she got arrested. Me and my dad would have to bail her out of jail", I said.
Jamar shook his head.
"If you have to go through such risks for a person just to keep a friendship with them, they're not really your friend."
I started crying.
"I know. But she's always been there for me", I replied.
"Was she? Or was she just returning the favor in order to have you continue putting your life on the line for her?", he asked.
That question hit hard. Maybe Jamar was right. Maybe Naomi was just using me.
"I never thought about it that way", I said.
"Well you should because it sounds like she's taking advantage of you."
He came up to me and put his hands around my waist.
"I would never use you", he whispered into my ear.
At the moment my heart started beating fast. I was getting turned on by his words. I put my hands on his chest.
"I believe you", I whispered back.
As he leaned in for a kiss, his phone rang.
He looked down.
"Hello?"
"Jamar where are you?!", Naomi screamed from the other line.
"I'm out handling business", he replied.
"Handling business? You're suppose to be here with me for the break in."
Jamar sighed.
"Can we talk about this later?"
"No! We're going to talk about this now!"
"I'm not coming Naomi", Jamar replied.
There was silence. Naomi had hung up.
He looked at me and smiled.
"Where were we?"
He kissed me. And it wasn't an ordinary kiss. It was a deep passionate kiss. He rubbed his hands down my back. How good it felt to finally have him. Even though I didn't technically have him because he was still dating Naomi. But my assumptions were right. He didn't want Naomi. He wanted someone who could satisfy him. Someone who would not let him down. He wanted me.