Chapter 5

I woke up to the sound of scratching.
"What is that?", I thought.
I got out of bed and looked around.
The scratching got louder. I moved closer to my window and slowly opened my curtains. I was shocked to see Naomi standing at my window. I sighed and let her in.
"What are you doing here?", I asked.
"I need to talk to you", she said wiping her face.
I could tell she had been crying.
"What's wrong?", I asked.
"Jamar bailed out on me last night", she muffled.
"Oh."
"Yeah, I thought he would come through for me."
I patted her back.
"Well, I'm sure he'll come around.", I replied
"Yeah right. When I asked him where he was at, he told me he was handling business", she said.
"Dang."
"I know. I don't want to think he's cheating but he's leading me to assume he is", she replied.
I gave her a hug and she sobbed into my arms. In that moment I felt Naomi's pain. Not only because he is cheating. But he's cheating with me. Her best friend. But can you blame me? She practically left me on my own last night and expects baby treatment the next day. I can't keep up the act. Sooner or later I'm going to have to tell her that we can't be friends anymore. But not now. It's not time yet. Plus, Jamar has trusted me to keep us low key. He didn't want anyone finding out. Especially Naomi. As I sat there holding her, I felt faker than plastic. I was seeing my best friend's boyfriend behind her back. And this was just the beginning. I know me and Jamar will be seeing each other for a long time. But it's like they always say. You either use, or be used. And I was done being Naomi's little rag doll. If she ever wanted an upgraded version of me, she would want this one. Moody, classy, and deceiving. I guess two can play at that game.
After about five minutes, Naomi finally pulled herself together.
"Thanks girl", she said.
"You're welcome."
We talked for another ten minutes until she left. When I was sure she was out of sight I called Jamar.
"Hello?"
"Hey."
"Hey babe", he replied.
"Oh so I'm babe now?", I said jokingly.
He laughed.
"I mean yeah, you're the only woman I'm really seeing."
"What about Naomi?", I asked.
"What about her?"
"I was just asking. She came by my house to talk to me", I replied.
There was a moment of silence.
"What did she say?"
"She mentioned you bailing out on her or whatever. Just whining really", I replied.
Jamar laughed.
"If she thought I was actually going to risk getting caught just to prove my love for her she is dumber than I thought", he said.
"And I thought I was a cry baby", I agreed.
"Well thank god you're not."
I changed the subject.
"I want to see you", I said.
"When?"
"Tonight", I replied.
"Ok, what time did you have in mind?"
"Here at my place at 9:00", I replied.
"Oooh, daredevil I see."
"Yep."
"Alright Miss. Poole. I'll see you tonight at 9:00", he replied.
"See you tonight."
I hung up.
Gosh, I knew it was wrong, but it felt so right. And honestly I didn't care. Jamar made me realize how much I've put into my friendship with Naomi and how she's manipulated me do get what she wants and I was far from done with her. I want her to know what it feels like to lose. To not have anyone in your corner and the one person you thought you have isn't there for you anymore. She's taken six years of my life that I can't get back and I won't stop at nothing to get even. Even if it means sleeping with Jamar. After all he is mine. Sooner or later, he's going to break up with Naomi and it will be just be and him. No distractions or interruptions. I wanted revenge. A bitter sweet rivalry that will break our friendship so I can live the life that I've always wanted. The life that I deserved. And if that meant breaking her apart, I'll do it. This will be the last time anyone uses me. This is the beginning of a new story for Maya Poole. This is a civil war.