Thirteen

Charles

If looks could have killed, Charles would have been buried and unaccounted for at this very moment. But he was not. Even when his companion was glaring at him, Kavya's eyes burning with anger, Charles remained intact. In fact, her fury had become a twisted source of amusement for him, a way to derive self-satisfaction.

Charles grinned mischievously at Kavya's seething expression, unable to resist the opportunity to tease her. "My dear Kavya, I must say your angry face is truly a sight to behold," he remarked. "You should consider trademarking that glare of yours."

Kavya narrowed her eyes in response, her frustration evident. "Don't you dare find this amusing, Charles? You know exactly how trapped I feel right now."

Charles raised an eyebrow playfully, thoroughly enjoying the situation. "Oh, I am fully aware, my dear. It's quite entertaining to witness the depths of your fury. It's like a fireworks show, but with more intensity and fewer colors."

Through gritted teeth, Kavya continued, "You find joy in torturing me, don't you? This is your sick form of self-satisfaction." Chuckling, Charles replied, "Now, now, Kavya, don't be so dramatic. It's just a little harmless teasing. Besides, haven't you heard that laughter is the best medicine? Consider me your personal doctor, prescribing doses of amusement."

Rolling her eyes, Kavya couldn't help but suppress a smile. "Oh, how generous of you, Doctor Charles. Do enlighten me with more of your 'amusing' antics."

Grinning wider, Charles mockingly bowed. "Well, I was thinking of organizing a comedy show just for you. A one-woman act starring the magnificent Kavya and her fantastic fury. Tickets will be sold out in no time!"

Suppressing a laugh, Kavya replied, "You're impossible, Charles. Truly impossible."

Chuckling, Charles took a moment to savor the banter. "Thank you, my dear. I take great pride in my impossibility. It's an art form, really."

Despite the tension and anger, a hint of laughter floated in the air, offering a temporary reprieve from the seriousness of the situation. In their peculiar dance of irritation and amusement, Charles found pleasure in pushing Kavya's buttons, while Kavya begrudgingly acknowledged the comedic absurdity of it all. Amidst the chaos, they both found solace in the fleeting moments of lightheartedness.

"Are you going to be grouchy like this all evening, my love?" Charles playfully inquired, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"It's not me; it's your face that makes me want to punch you every time I look at you," Kavya retorted, her irritation evident.

Chuckling, Charles feigned offense, placing a hand dramatically over his heart. "Oh, my dearest Kavya, such harsh words for this handsome face? I'm deeply wounded!"

"For that, I have my room prepared. Be my guest and do everything you wish to physically. I will be more than obliged to comply with those things," Kavya sarcastically replied, trying her best not to let a smile escape.

Charles raised an eyebrow, a suggestive smirk playing on his lips. "Oh, my my, such tempting offers. But I'll pass, my love. Don't want to make you weak in the knees, do I?"

With a roll of her eyes, Kavya looked away, trying to hide her amusement. It was difficult to stay mad at Charles when he was in his charming, teasing mode. "That was only one night, Your Highness. I will not let you ever get closer to me like that ever again," she stated firmly.

Charles only grinned wider, seemingly undeterred by her words. "Never say never, my dear. Love has a way of surprising us when we least expect it."

As they continued their banter, Charles noticed William approaching Kavya and was quick to hold her hand. "Now, it's not the time to fight, my love. The enemy is common. So, we must unite against him," he whispered softly, trying to shift the focus away from their playful bickering.