Eight

Charles

Charles was in one hand holding Kavya's hand and in the other, he was holding the preference list or the supposed preference list that he had sent to her. The one advised by his PR team to keep things at bay. But this was not what he had sent to her. So, who had given this one to her?

"I asked you a question, you should answer that." His hold tightens over her arm. "Please, your highness, you are hurting me. Let go of me." She pleaded. His hold loosens but he did not let her go.

"Now, will you tell me?" He asked.

"It came with the other gifts your highness. It was given to me by sir Reginald." She said and her voice cracked. He let her go. Then handed her a glass of water. "Drink Kavya." She turned around to avoid facing him not accepting the drink. "I...I am fine. I suppose this is not where I will stay because this is your room?" She asked. "It is my room; however, I do not prefer to stay here." She hesitated to ask her question.

"No, I am not letting you see where I do prefer to stay, we are only acquainted for such a short time and in that time, we need to prepare for tomorrow. We need to attend few things, and let our pictures taken by our photographers circulate." She was still not looking at him. So he turned her around and made her look at him.

"Is that why you did that? Spilled water all over the table?" He asked. She managed a nod timidly. "Why?" He asked. "You could have politely told me." "I tried but you are not the one who was listening. And I do not think you would have your highness. Not even you died, choked on a fish. How fitting it would have been, 'Prince Charming the Third, Perished While Choking on a Fish' engraved on your tombstone, forever cautioning others about the perils of fish dishes!"

Charles couldn't help but burst into laughter, his amusement filling the room. "Oh, Kavya, you always manage to inject humor into even the most serious conversations," he chuckled. "It seems we can never have a straightforward discussion."

Kavya's cheeks flushed slightly as she realized her unintended comedic slip. "I apologize, Your Highness. It wasn't my intention to say that last part out loud," she sheepishly admitted, her mind yearning for the comfort of the nearby bed. Her restrictive corset only added to her longing for a moment of relaxation.

Charles's laughter gradually subsided, replaced by a mischievous glimmer in his eyes. "Well, my dear, perhaps it's time we loosen the tight grip of this corset and allow ourselves to breathe a little," he suggested playfully, hinting at the possibility of finding some reprieve from the constraints of their formal attire.

"You wanted to save me, and that's truly touching," Charles spoke softly, his voice filled with tenderness. "But rest assured, my dear, I wouldn't have met an unfortunate fate. You see, everything on that preference list was completely inaccurate."

As Kavya's tears welled up in her eyes, Charles reached out, his hand extending a comforting gesture. With a gentle touch, he wiped away the tears from her face, using his handkerchief as a tender reassurance.

"Don't you know, darling," he whispered with a hint of warmth, "a princess doesn't shed tears. And now, by some strange twist of fate, you happen to be one. So, let us carry ourselves with the regal grace that befits our royal titles."

In that fleeting moment, amidst the laughter and the pretense, a genuine connection sparked between them. The tenderness in Charles's actions revealed a glimpse of his true nature, beyond the flamboyance and ego, as he offered a moment of solace and support to Kavya.

"Where I am going to sleep tonight?" She asked. He pointed to his bed. "And where you are going to sleep?" He gave her a lazy smile. "Where else my enigmatic princess of words" She looked down blushing. "I...I can take the couch or..." He pulled her closer his breath hitting over her neck.