Seventeen

Kavya

Kavya tried to push him away but his hold did not falter on her. He was angry. His kiss was bruising and possessive his hands angrily tugged over her hair ruining and tearing the flower garland in her hair. He pulled away and she saw how thin he looked. How he held a defeated expression on his face.

"What is the meaning of this?" Charles' voice rumbled, anger evident in his tone, as he waved the letter in his hand. "How could you write such things about me, Kavya?" His eyes locked onto hers hurt mingling with frustration.

Kavya tried to retreat, but Charles refused to let go of her, keeping her close despite her efforts. His grip tightened, and she could feel his displeasure in the way his fingers tensed around her arm. His kiss, once tender and affectionate, now felt bruising and possessive, leaving her feeling torn and confused.

"I've seen you with Arjun," he continued, his words accusing. "Don't think I didn't notice. Have you so easily forgotten that I exist? That we shared something real?"

Fear gripped Kavya's heart as she met his angry gaze. She knew she had hurt him with her words and actions, but she couldn't find the right words to explain herself. Her mind raced, searching for a way to bridge the gap between them and quell his anger.

"And what about you, Charles?" she retorted, her voice laced with both frustration and pain. "Did you forget that we were supposed to be together? You replaced me so easily, played with my emotions, and now you accuse me of doing the same? Is that how shallow the Prince of Wales can be?"

Charles winced at her words, his grip loosening slightly. "It's not like that, Kavya," he tried to explain, his voice filled with regret. "I never replaced you. I was confused, lost, and I made a mistake. I should have known if they did not find me they can target you."

A mixture of anger and sadness flickered in Kavya's eyes as she looked at him. "You made a mistake?" she repeated, her voice tinged with sarcasm. "Well, congratulations on realizing that now. But don't you dare project your own actions onto me?"

Charles took a step back, his gaze downcast. He knew he had hurt her deeply, and her words struck a chord within him. "You're right," he admitted, his voice subdued. "I should have handled things differently. I should have fought for us. I should have come to you. When everyone was feeding you lies about me."

Kavya's anger began to subside, replaced by a tinge of sadness. "It's too late now, Charles," she said, her voice softer. "I can't trust someone who can so easily discard me and then accuse me of the same. We both made mistakes and maybe it's time we accept that some wounds can't be healed."

Silence hung between them, heavy with unspoken words and shattered expectations. The air crackled with a mix of disappointment and longing. At that moment, they both realized that the love they once shared had been irreparably damaged, leaving them with nothing but scars and painful memories.

"Kavya, I hate you, I cannot tolerate your presence more than necessary, but something happened to us during those three days." He touched her cheek. "This misunderstanding had been created between us. I would never harm you; I would never make you go through something like this on purpose." Charles said holding her closer. 

"Do you even know what happened your highness? I had been subjected to days' worth of interrogation by IB and agents from your country. The royal family had put their accusation on me. The media made me a criminal. I had lost everything that I had held dear to me. My reputation, my career, everything." She held the lapels of his coat.

"You have taken my everything, Your Highness. Now, what more do you want to take? Why are you here?" She asked turning around. Charles dropped his bag on the floor and locked the doors. Then he pulled her into his arms. Kavya did not resist this time. He softly stroked her hair and let her cry into his arms.