Chapter 7

We soon arrived in a wooded area some miles from Lake Prince. Ruby soon woke up. Liam and Chubs were talking about what to do about Ruby and me seeing what we were capable of. Ronnie and Azel were trying to reason with them, especially with Chubs who sounded a little upset that my friend and little brother were aware of what I could do.

Ruby got out of the van. I followed behind her to talk with them.

"Hey, I'm just gonna go," Ruby informed the guys, "So you can stop fighting. And I'm really sorry that I lied to you."

"Me too," I nodded, "I'm sorry that I wasn't fully honest with all of you. Azel, Ronnie, and I had every reason to not say much about what I'm capable of. And, Ronnie, look after Azel for me."

I decided that Azel and Ronnie were better off safe with the other while I left with Ruby. She could tell that I didn't hold it against her for not being truthful about herself. I lifted my backpack and started to walk along with Ruby. I could sense Azel feeling distressed.

"Ruby. Ember," Chubs called out.

Azel ran up to me and tugged my arm, begging Ruby and me to not leave. Ruby turned around heading back to the Betty.

"Ruby," Chubs called out to her.

"I just forgot my bag, okay?" Ruby retorted.

"Em, please don't leave me," Azel begged me, "Have you forgotten your promise to Mom? That the both of us stay together?"

Mom's last words replayed in my head. I couldn't go against that promise.

"We were talking about Betty, not your Orange butt," Chubs clarified, "And, for the record, I knew you were Orange since day zero. And Ember, I also knew there was something strange about you. There hasn't been any report of any kid having more than one power. If there had been, they would've been used as guinea pigs or killed on sight. I can understand why Ronnie and Azel didn't say anything."

I gave Chubs a small smile. He wasn't upset with either Ruby or me nor with Azel and Ronnie. I could tell Liam, Ruby, and Zu were alright with me, and accepted that I had more abilities than them.

"Sit down," Liam told us with a chuckle.

Ruby and I sat with the guys in a circle while Azel joined Zu in picking some yellow daffodils.

"I just... didn't want you to be afraid of me," Ruby told the guys.

"Same here," I nodded, "I was afraid you all would be jealous of what I could do, and the fact my parents hid Azel and me for the past several years while the rest of you ended up in the camps."

"There's nothing wrong with being Orange," Liam assured Ruby and turned to me, "It doesn't matter if you have five or a hundred abilities. Your folks must've had the courage to keep you and your brother safe and died trying to protect you both."

I nodded at him.

"I can't even control it," Ruby sighed referring to her ability, "I'm trying to figure it out, but it just happens. Sometimes all it takes is my skin brushing up against someone else and I'm in their head. And the more that I try to pull free, the more damage that I do."

"Damage?"

I could understand what Ruby was saying. When I discovered my Orange capabilities, I felt the same as she did. That was why I was afraid of touching my parents or Azel for a long time until Mom assured me that I had no reason to fear of messing up their minds.

"Is that why you wouldn't kiss me?" Liam wondered.

"Yeah," Ruby replied.

"Awkward," I muttered.

"Okay," Chub nodded, "Well, touching as this moment is, uh, we have a Slip Kid to party with, right?"

"We do, yeah," Liam nodded.

"Let's go" Ronnie smiled feeling eager to get a move on.

Azel and Zu carried a handful of daffodils over to the Betty.

"Yeah, we're not far now," Liam agreed and turned to Azel and Zu, "Hey, Zu, Azel. We're packing up. Gotta go." He glanced over at Ruby, "Unless you wanna try and run away again."

"No," Ruby shook her head smiling at him.

I got up from my seat and headed for the Betty.

"Hey, Em," Chubs called.

"Yeah, Charles?" I wondered.

"You guys can call me Chubs now. You've all earned it." He referred to Azel and Ronnie.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. The way you stood up to Lady Jane and not backing down was totally rad of you. The part where you weren't affected by the White Noise told me that you were already eighteen. That Tracer didn't even see it coming to her! You were a force to be reckoned with."

I smiled at Chubs and then got myself wondering about what could potentially happen when we reached East River and met with the Slip Kid.

After we were all packed up, Azel and Zu placed the daffodils on the hood of the Betty as if they were placing flowers on a grave sight.

"Ah, it feels like we should do something for her," Liam sighed, "Like a barge out to see. Set her on fire. Blaze of glory."

"She's a minivan... not a Viking," Chubs corrected him.

I chuckled as we all turned and started making the trek.

During the hike, Azel and I told the others about trying to locate Hilary figuring the Slip Kid might have a way of communicating with her without being traced. Since Liam had a grudge against the League, my brother and I didn't mention our aunt being in it fearing that he wouldn't let us search for her as we had promised Mom. 

Chubs had the map and helped navigate the way. Azel did his part of memorizing the landmarks we passed by just in case we got lost. Plus, I told the group about Mandy, and how her death affected all of us, and how it got Hilary to uncover the truth behind the camps. Liam commented about my aunt being fearless and that it didn't matter if she was a part of the League or worked on her own.

"I don't know, Chubs. It doesn't feel right," Liam pointed out as we trekked on an old railroad.

"Man, y'all are just a bunch of negative nellies," Chubs sighed.

"We'll just be prepared for anything that's ahead of us," I nodded.

"Right, Em," Ronnie agreed.

"Check it, man," Chubs showed Liam something on the tracks.

I saw a bunch of rocks spelling out the letter 'E' and sticks forming 'D' and an old tire making look like an 'O.'

"That must be a marker for any of the escaped kids," I suggested.

"Exactly," Azel nodded.

All of us smiled knowing that we were getting closer to the haven.

Sometime after getting off the tracks once we located another marker that would get us there, suddenly, a gunshot sounded off, startling all of us.