A New Adventure

"Mmmm...whoever invented such delicious flavor deserves riches and fame!" Carlos hummed chewing a few chips, taking hand fulls. "So, a gift shop? How come the gifts cost money? Aren't presents supposed to be free?"

"Different types of gifts," Noah replied showing his new friend cool animal plushies, t-shirts, and hats. Carlos was overwhelmed, humans loved collected physical items. What else confused the man was how the smaller folks pushed and shoved him. Where was the kindness? The happy smiles? Giggling children? Instead, kids cried, adults showed no respect, and elders were absolute monsters.

"Watch it freak!" An old woman pushed aside Carlos and wobbled her way to the checkout line.

"Rude." He did an exaggerated exhale and noticed Noah fidgeting.

"Woah, what's the wrong little boy?"

"S...sorry...I...hate busy...places."

"Hmm, shall we venture elsewhere?" Carlos took Noah by the arm gently and offered a sweet pat on the back.

"Nope, I'm fine. Plus, Ben's expecting me back."

Carlos let the tiny human lead the way, he would randomly stop and admire his new surroundings. Bright colors brought alive the structure, forest green walls, and scarlet metal pillars stretch high from wall to wall. Stony slick floor, and a gigantic one near the front and back which permitted the shining sun to bring light. He began examining merchandise, but something called 'postcards' drew his attention closer.

"Noah." He said and grabbed the kid by his arm and lifted him upward like a doll and placed him next to him.

"Dude! Watch the strength." Noah murmured.

"S...sorry, what are these names?" He asked pointing towards cards saying New York City, Florida, and California.

"Different states across the United States," Noah said. "See? New York is the best place, Florida has Disney World and famous people live in California."

"Are those the only states in the United States?" Carlos's homeland stretched forever. Over dozen, towns were under his family's monarchy, yet there were five kingdoms which were spread out throughout the land.

"There's fifty."

"Fifty?! How does the king keep track of fifty states?!" Carlos admired the king. Running a kingdom takes hard work and intelligence. "Do the states have an individual official who reports to the king?"

"Good guess, big guy. We have a president who is voted into office and looks after our country. Next, governors help run each state." Noah explained.

"Wow! A ruler voted to lead?" Carlos was interested if villagers could vote, would his father still be king? Anna no doubt would win their votes with her smarts and heart. "How interesting, what state do you call home?"

"New York. About an hour's trip between home and the falls."

"Do you visit often?"

"We...we use to before our parents die. First time busted after losing them."

"Must be difficult." Carlos reflected on the time he struggled to enjoy activists he and his mom did together. He couldn't take walks through the forest, bake desserts, or take horse rides. "What about Ben? How did he handle the loss?"