Retribution

Winter Manor
Darby was hanging upside down Chained at the wrist and legs. Spread wide to the point where he lost feeling all around. An acid-filled bucket inches away below his face. Rarely a bubble would pop and splash him. A violent sting, worse than ten sword jabs.

The dungeon was deprived of warmth. No windows to the outside world. Only three dark stone walls and a shut metal door. What terrified him was Lady Sarah and King Nash whispering in the corner. Hushing. Thinking. Conspiring an idea he preferred to ignore.

Soon enough he heard the witch's heels click against the floor. The steps were louder than the last. King Nash followed. His boots were thunderous. A one-man army.

Darby sallowed. "M-m-m-my king, forgive my actions. The boy was within my grasp. I did as demanded. The boy is here."

Sarah turned to the side. She took a step backward. Bowing to Nash who kneeled to Darby's face.

"Here? Is he there?" Nash pointed to a random puddle.

"No sir." The captive man sweated.

Nash pointed to an empty bird cage having off the ceiling.

"No, my king." He sweated, and droplets splashed the acid bucket.

"Where is he then, Darby?" The king leaned close.

He thought carefully. "In the woods."

The King stood again, he slid an armored gauntlet down the left hand. "Why is that?"

Lady Sarah smiled. Darby assumed she was enjoying the moment. A sick woman. A woman is possible, he would kill without hesitation now.

"He outsmarted me," Darby answered. The man's throat burned. He wanted to sleep, but the sizzling acid kept his mind constantly in fear. If these changes fell, his face would be melted.

"A 14-year-old human boy outsmarted a knight. Who would've thought?" Nash chuckled. He quickly spun and slapped his gauntlet hand across the knight's
face. 

Darby's cheek was bloodied. His pride and honor were shattered. "Please my lord," he begged. "Let me free and I shall find him again! I-I-broke his spirit! Haha!" Darby gurgled. "Yes-yes! I broke his spirit. I told the boy his brother was dead, and Prince Carlos wasn't coming. The Prince is wounded, and I did my best to slow his mission. I stabbed him—ahgh!"

"Stabbed him?!" Nash grabbed Darby's throat. "Idiot! What if he died? The whole plan could've fallen apart."

Darby was looking through every possibility where the conversation would tip to his benefit. "My k-k-king, if I may speak?"

"You've spoken enough." Nash's fingers clenched harder.

Darby began to experience true fear. His eyes were shedding fearful tears and his lips formed dreadful pleads.

"Does the boy know anything about the plan? Did you tell him anything else?!" Nash could snap Darby's neck if provoked further.

"I...perhaps mentioned I was hired by a witch. I...I had no intent to lose the human. I'm requesting forgiveness. Please sir! Please, my lord. Give me a second chance! Lady Sarah has received plenty!"

"Lady Sarah has done more than just one you. She accomplished getting Carlos into the human world. Was her idea to send her you to bring Noah? I need her more than you. Instead of a A knight who failed at the simplest task." Nash dropped his hold. "But, I won't kill you."

"Oh, thank you, my king." Darby exhaled.

"You're confused, Darby. I'm not the one who shall kill you. She is." Nash glanced at Sarah.

Sarah used two fingers, put them to her mouth, and whistled. A guard opened the dungeon door. In came a large wolf. Pure black fur, paws bigger than a hand, not long, and teeth ready for the final kill. It stood as tall as the King's waist.

"Darby, do you have anything the boy was wearing? Or any blood of him on you?" Sarah asked petting the wolf's head.

"I-I-yes! H-his shoe!" Darby said and wiggled his pants pocket and a tiny human shoe fell out. "H-h-he dropped it when he escaped. One of the cats was trying to eat it."

"Seems you aren't useless after all," Sarah said and grabbed the shoe. She had the wolf catch the scent. It let out a haunting howl.

"Good, go and bring the child  back." She demanded. The wolf grunted and ran.

Sarah and Nash proceed to leave the room.

"Wait-wait. You're letting me live?" Darby said.

"Oh no, absolutely not." Sarah whistled and a second wolf entered. Silver fur and dark green eyes. "Snack time, darling."

Nash and Sarah slammed the door. The dudgeon room filled with Darby's dying screams.
——————————————————-
The witch and king left the area and ventured back to Sarah's witch laboratory. Quinn rose off her pink chair upon seeing the two enter.

"Mother, my king," she bowed. "What happened to Darby?"

"Darby is useless now. He received proper punishment." Sarah answered without looking directly at her child.

"Mother, eh...something has happened while you two were gone?" Quinn said.

"Was it child?" Nash said before the mother.

"Carlos has entered the giant realm," Quinn said.

"Yes, as planned." Nash scoffed.

"And," the young woman's hands fidgeted. "He brought the other human. I watched them at the cauldron. Our magic can't spy within our realm."

Nash paused hearing the other human join Carlos. He took his sword and sliced a mirror causing glass shards to go flying.

"Grrr! It's...alright." He hissed. "They'll be coming. We better have the youngest human by then. If it all fails," Nash tells Sarah. "You and you're daughter will see a fate worse than Darby."

"We understand." Sarah and Quinn said together.

"Good," Nash said. A knock came at the door and entered. Nash had a few private knights other than Darby. Nash waved for the man to join him.

"Sir," the knight said. "The requested prisoner has arrived."

Quinn was curious. "Has the human been found already?"

"Another." Nash corrected and had his attention on the knight again. "Where is she?"

"In the carriage."

"Hmm, bring her here."

The knight obeyed and four minutes ago five knights drug Anna behind them.  

"Let me go!" She squirmed and tossed down. She glanced up to see the king. Without hesitation, she stood and slapped him.

"Hello, daughter." He said unphased. "I'm glad you're here."

"Why," She spits into his eye. "Why would you put so many lives at risk? Carlos's life? My life? Innocent people?" 

"Carlos is sick, Anna. I'm willing to do anything if it means Carlos learns his place."

"He isn't sick!" Anna argued.

Nash's eyes narrowed. "Carlos is willing to throw away tradition. To stain the royal name all for fake love! He's fallen for a man. A human man! I am greatly disappointed you fail to understand the dire circumstances."

"When he discovers—"

"He'll surrender. Love is his weakness and believe me," he cupped her chin in his hand. "I plan to exploit it."

"Why did you bring me here?"

"To keep you hidden. I want you near me. Where you can't escape. I'm not willing to fail." Nash said and had Anna's wrist changed and attached her to a chair. She could only sit in defeat and pray for the best. Pray her father would pay for his evil.