Baby Steps

⚠️ Possible Trigger Warning involving bullying and language!⚠️

"CARLOS WAIT!" Noah and Ben held Carlos's arm, keeping him held back as cars flew by the parking lot and mall entrance. Carlos figured the mall was holding a grand ball inviting hordes of humans. They entered and there wasn't a ball, dancing, or any civilized actions occurring. Humans were chatting loudly children ran free,  and workers were frowning.

A dozen shops, restaurants, and entertainment centers drew customers and even Carlos himself. The giant immediately recognized Noah's nervous ticks: hand fidgeting and leg wobbly. Carlos would take Noah's anxiety if ever possible.

"Tell me, Noah," Carlos side hugged Noah. "What does one do first at the mall?"

Noah nuzzled closer, and an instant sense of protection over Noah struck Carlos. His natural big brother senses are locked and loaded, ready to help.

Ben seemed disappointed, as if wishing Noah ran to him first. Carlos offered him a glance saying be his brother.

"Noah loves the bookstore," Ben said.

"Bookstore? Lead the way, Noah!" Carlos nudged the small teen.

"Hey bro, I'm buying today. Pick any book!" Carlos gave Ben a thumbs-up of approval. Money certainly wouldn't purchase Noah's love, but understanding how much the kiddo loved reading surely was a kind gesture.

"Seriously? Any book?" Noah was skeptical.

"Seriously." His brother replied.

"Thanks, big bro." Noah went to hug Ben, but he stopped and focused his attention on entering the bookstore called Books Galore. The store was fairly empty meaning Noah started exploring unbothered.

"Should've hugged him," Carlos told Ben as the two let the kid go alone.

"Was going to, but he stopped first. God, what kind of terrible brother am I? A brother whose own little bro is afraid to hug?"

Giants were creatures who hugged, shook hands, and used words, however, humans were the complete opposite. A simple 'I love you' was difficult to say, a loving hug now a fear. Carlos couldn't imagine a world where he and Anna wouldn't say they love one another. His mother always said words and actions were important. Ben and Noah lacked such a lesson and Carlos was determined to fix their issue.

"Again, you're a good brother, and Noah's lucky to have a fantastic older sibling." 

"Is he?" Ben was uncertain. "He deserves better."

Carlos frowned. Why was Ben stubborn? Ben's afraid to be truly happy. To give love or be loved. He asked for help, and Carlos wouldn't let him fail.

"Ben Hudson, drop the pity act!" Carlos grabbed Ben's sides and lifted him like a tiny child.

Ben immediately blushed and demanded he be put back. "Carlos! People are staring!"

"I'll let go after I hear you talk positively!" Carlos shook the man.

"Carlos!"

"Ben!"

"Carlos Prince!"

"Ben Hudson!"

"FINE! I'll talk positive!"

"I wanna hear the evidence! Tell me something positive!"

"Grrrr...I love being Noah's older brother and I'm lucky he's my bro and he's lucky I'm his!"

"THANK YOU!" Carlos shouted, a few young kids were running and accidentally whacked Carlos's lower back legs. He lost balance and fell backward. Carlos landed hard and Ben landed on top. Ben's and Carlos's lips touched.
———————————————————
A sense of excitement and confusion shoots through Ben. His mind tells him to move, yet his body wants to keep kissing Carlos. Carlos isn't moving either. Does he want to keep their lips pressed together?