Carlos to the Rescue

"The Mummy wasn't scary" Carlos repeated the hundredth time. They returned home late, he wasn't sure how he was stuck carrying the shopping bags, popcorn bucket, and Noah himself on his back.

"How come you screamed when he appeared?" Noah let go of  Carlos and spread himself across the couch, he grabbed the remote and flipped to a  television station.

"I was nowhere scared and I was yawning!"

"A high pitch yawn."

Ben slapped Noah's head slightly and grabbed the remote. "Leave him alone and head to bed."

"What? It's only nine-thirty!" Noah said.

"Tomorrow you've got an early counselor appointment," He reminded.

"I don't need to go."

"Noah, not tonight." Ben approached the boy carefully.

Carlos suspected the two fought the same battle before. Noah avoided total eye contact and Ben was already exhausted. He lowered himself, his head resting on Noah's. A silent atmosphere fell upon the Hudson brothers. A soft side of Ben began unraveling similar to a mother comforting her weeping child. Carlos was proud. Ben claimed he was failing as a guardian, yet what guardian dropped the parental tone and began listing? Began being the light a scared child needs at that specific moment. Carlos was simply a guide, Ben was the true hero even if he has yet to realize so.

"Bud, those counseling sessions are important." Ben played with Noah's curly hair.

"I hate them." Noah stuffed a pillow against his face.

"I know, but think about the positives."

"What positives? I'm a freak who hates crowds and cries all the time."

Carlos sat on the couch, he began sharing a story. "Noah, when I was young, I hated speaking in front of crowds. I cried and cried, threw fits, and screamed. My mother tried helping, but I refused. She sent a consultant to talk to. Originally I hated him. I sit there and stay quiet. Eventually, my mother described why I should give him a try. I did and it helped. Ben wants the best for you. He wants you to feel better and let those emotions free."

Noah stayed silent.

"Little bro, Carlos is right. The counselor can help battle those anxieties." Ben said.

"I hate going because he wants me to talk more about Mom and Dad."

Ben was dumbfounded, Carlos could tell he was struggling deeply. When his mother died, mentioning her name was hard enough, and the memories even harder to recall. The death of their parents was a fresh bloody wound. Even the strongest bandage could numb a little pain. The soul would have to finish healing and the two brothers souls were deeply damaged and shattered. Carlos understood, the way his father was broken, Anna moving on, and Carlos mourning alone. Death can destroy a family and Carlos will not let the Hudson family apart. He could save them. No. He would save them. He was here. This was his mission. This was where his heart belonged right now. He didn't care about the seven-day deal. All he cared about was them.
------------------------------------————
What do I do? Our parents, Mom, and Dad, I can't...I picture their faces. Mom's perfect skin, beautiful eyes, and long black hair darker than the night sky. Dad...his hair was dark brown, he had the kindest smile...stop Ben. I can't....they are gone...no point crying...it won't bring them back. Ben...quit thinking about your feelings. I'm afraid he is turning into me. A person who locks their feelings away. I let him mourn all by himself. Poor kid, what have I done? I'm horrible with words. I am holding him. I kiss his forehead.