What Was In That Cake?

Three days. Three days since Carlos vanished. Anna stirred, her hair swaying back and forth with each anxious turn. The calming night sky and heavy stars weren't enough to calm her nerves. The pink drapes, royal-sized bed, and crimson carpet hid among the dim light candles flickering widely. 

King Nash's sudden departure also left her worried and confused. Her father stated he was attending royal business and would return in seven days. What struck the princess odd was he wasn't bothered by Carlos's disappearance. He had simply ignored her worries and said she must stay at their castle until his return.

"Princess Anna?" A knock struck her door.

"Enter." She held back her worries.

A tall, green armored covered, man entered. His hair was long and brown, and a dirty sword was attached to his hip. He was mid forty's and wore a massive scar near his lower chin. He bowed, and his armor creaked.

"Sir Darby, how may I assist you?" Anna kindly addressed the knight.

"Princess, we've received no word regarding Prince Carlos's whereabouts. He simply disappeared." Darby showed zero emotion.

"He can't 'simply' disappear? Were all villages checked? The lakes? Caves?" Anna refused to lose hope.

"Under every rock, leaf, and crate. Peasants assume our prince has abandoned the kingdom."

Abandoned? The subjects betrayed her trust. "Carlos poured his heart into helping each soul down below!" Anna points downward at the sleeping village resetting below the highest tower. "He would've rather died than abandon them."

"With all due respect," Darby said. "King Nash seemed certain Carlos's disappearance was nothing worth losing sleep over."

"My father failed to see the urgency. The Prince is gone and nobody has voiced their concerns besides my own."

"Perhaps being overdramatic, princess?" Darby dared.

"I'm being the responsible thinker, sir."

"My Highness, consider the facts. The prince publicly declared he would never marry Lady Quinn and ran away so he wouldn't become a husband. If he truly loved the people, he would've put aside his selfishness."

"My brother's reaction was justified." Anna fought to end arranged marriages. Going far as writing long letters and giving powerful speeches why an individual should choose their love.

"Typical woman blabbering."

Anna spun from studying the stars. "Has the great knight forgotten whom he speaks to?"

"How could I forget? Only the king's daughter dawns and flashes her rich dresses and foreign diamond earrings. The only woman men bow to, whom we are forced to recognize."

Anna composer swayed: her cheeks were sun-burned red and her back muscles collapsing. "Forced? Derby, I've earned the respect. I've spent my entire life doing what's right and helping the less unfortunate."

Anna's speech stretched Derby's toothy smile. "Whom deems the 'unfortunate' unfortunate? A carpenter has more worth than a spoiled brat. The knights are worth more than the royal family. We are the ones who shed our blood to protect our realm and what does the great princess do? Watches from afar, too precious to risk her life. You may fooled many, but I know when the day ends, Anna will still be a princess and will always stand taller. Give us food, provide more clothes, do whatever makes yourself feel better. You don't help my people because we are equal. No, because you pity us."

"G...get out," Anna ordered.

"Yes, Your Highness. I will note that you should spend time connecting with the people instead of searching for the runaway Prince." Derby turned and left Anna to think.