Chapter 9 - Recrudescence

Omori sat up. The cold ground of Whitespace made his skin clammy. He stood up and took a deep breath. The air smelled stale.

He looked off in the distance. The door still stood. He slowly walked to the door and re-entered the Neighbour's room.

The corpses of Aubrey and Kel still lay on the ground. Maggots had begun to eat away at their rotting flesh. Omori looked to the exit, then walked over, avoiding the slimy substance covering the floor where blood once lay.

Filth returns to filth. Omori walked out and heard the train to the Orange Oasis leaving. That was likely Mari and Hero off to find whoever they think know how to kill him. He rolled his eyes.

Omori believed himself invincible. Nothing has proven him wrong so far, so that belief remained. He decided to go down to the Deep Well to find the Olive Branch.

He needed borrowed power, just like those two vapid emissions of a dying brain.

For a moment, Omori felt ashamed of himself for needing to borrow power, but it was what had to be done. To rid himself of Sunny. To rid the world of Sunny.

He grinned as he walked along the docks. Quickly, this grin faded as he saw a window open over the water. Sunny appeared to want to lecture Omori. Mari's visage appeared, and Omori spat upon her dress, staining it black.

"Glad to see you, too. Why do you despise my little brother so?" Mari spoke with annoyance in her voice.

Omori's upper lipped twitched. "Why would you not? He killed you. This is why I know you are no spirit, you selfish brat. Disguising as your sister to justify your actions."

Mari crossed her arms. "Believe me, sometimes I do, but what does that have to do with you? I don't recall him pushing you down any stairs. What gives you the right?"

"Here comes the god damned lecture. Just fuck off, would ya? I'm busy." Omori began to walk off, headed to the well.

"Wh- You're just trying to walk away from this? You're no better than Sunny, you high-and-mighty twat!" Mari balled her fists, "This is exactly what happened when we argued that day, and you have the gall to act like you're better than anyone??"

"Just shut up." Omori growled.

"You are such a brat! You know that violi-"

"Go away!" Omori turned around and shouted. Mari was not there. A single unblinking eye stared at Omori.

Omori calmed himself. He had almost forgotten about the imperfect world he lived in. Something was just trying to get to him, and it would not work.

He walked past Something and moved to enter the well.

Something followed and stared. "What? What do you want?" He asked bitterly. Something didn't answer.

Omori gritted his teeth with irritation, then jumped down the well. Something did not follow any farther and stared at him from the top of the well. He plunged into the cold water and slowly sank to the bottom.

A school of Angi rushed by as Omori hit the floor. He walked out of the well and showed up next to a road. One occasionally travelled by seamobile, but otherwise clear. Omori turned right and met a toll gator.

"Spin the wheel, get a sweet deal! C'mon bub, the price is usually 2,000 clams, but try your luck for just 10 clams, and reduce your toll by up to *95%!" The Gator boasted.

Omori decided not to question how the Toll Gator said an asterisk aloud and spun the wheel.

"Ooooo, unlucky, chump! Gotta pay 3,000 clams." The Gator held out his claws, waiting for payment.

Omori stabbed the Gator in the hand and climbed into the booth, pinning him against the wall as he screamed, stabbing his chest over and over.

After flipping the switch to open the toll gate, Omori walked a few meters forward, where another toll booth stood. The Gator inside graciously opened the gate for free, as did the next.

Omori walked along the road a bit farther before reaching the cave entrance. He looked ahead on the road. Toll Gators as far as the eye could see. He had to hand it to Jawsum, he had quite an efficient construction company.

A short distance into the cave, Omori decided to take a shortcut. He swam upwards and began to walk over the rocky reef. Few knew of the space above the cave, assuming the darkness above led to a ceiling. Omori walked along and jumped back into the water shortly after. There stood the remainder of the Olive Branch.

"You have sacrificed your voice, but now you must sacrifice more, old friend." Omori spoke as he put his hand to the Olive Branch's trunk.

The branches of the tree began to bear fruit as the trunk began to rot. Omori took a plump apple from the tree and bit into it. The juice dyed his face red as the succulent drupe crunched in his mouth.

Omori felt manic and began to crunch and chew on the apple excitedly. Flesh splashed onto his face as blood covered his hands. He gnawed at the bone, eventually his teeth breaking through, allowing the buttery innards to coat his throat.

Omori picked another apple, quickly chewing and gnawing through it, cracking and slobbering, chewing through it. He spat out the occasional hair but eventually began chewing and swallowing the hair, too.

He continued indulging with vacuous ecstasy and gluttony. He adored the fruits of sacrifice and gleaning power from each and every one.

"Perfection." He said with a mouthful of grey matter.