Level 3: Unexpected Company

Flashback Cutscene: Just Friends

9 years and 10 months

Ladybug climbed in through the window as usual. Her picnic basket in hand and a smile on her face, though the smile didn't last long, her face dropping along with her heels. She stood still on the spot, watching as Adrien paced to and fro, up and down his room in a similar fashion to a caged tiger. He had his phone in one hand and was tapping it impatiently against his chin.

She continued to watch him for a while. He looked agitated, something which she would never link to her boyfriend. He seemed deep in thought not even realising she'd entered the room.

"A-A-Adrien?" she asked tentatively, not wanting to startle him.

He turned sharply and stared at her. The glistening coating the bottom of his eyes breaking her heart, only for the fragments to be stamped on by the trembling in his lips. "You shouldn't be here!" He stated, a harshness in his voice causing her to cower. Her hands came up to her chest, both clutching tightly to the basket, her fingers aching in the movement.

"W-what? W-why?"

"You shouldn't be here. You can't be here." Adrien begged as he made his way towards her. His hands covered over hers, pushing her backwards towards the window. "If she catches you here — if she sees you —" he sighed and pushed her a little more forcefully. "Please, you need to go."

Her stance had her remaining firmly on the spot. Adrien was unable to move her thanks to her super strength. But why was he trying to throw her out in the first place?

"Ladybug, please," he begged. "You need to go! If she sees you then –"

"Adrien!" His name sounded through the closed door as Nathalie called up the staircase. Adrien's body began to tremble in front of her. Her feet carried her towards him, hands dropping the basket so she could take hold of his. Even through her super suit she could tell his palms were sweating. He seemed terrified.

"Adrien!" Nathalie called again, Adrien's eyes growing wide with anticipation. "Adrien, are you in your room?"

"Hide!" he whispered, just as the doorknob rattled behind them.

"Adrien, open the door please." Nathalie's stern voice had them both moving.

Slowly, Adrien walked to the door, an obvious ploy to give her time to hide. What the hell was going on? Ladybug looked around the room, trying to find an area to hide in.

Under the bed? No, Adrien's bed went right down to the floor and she didn't think he would appreciate a Ladybug shaped hole in it.

Up on the balcony? The glass walls would reveal she was there, she wasn't exactly inconspicuous decked out in bright red with black spots.

In the bathroom? Nope! Too many bad memories there.

With one last calculating look around the room, she set her sights on the closet. Quickly and cautiously, Ladybug headed in that direction reaching it just as the door to his bedroom unlocked and Adrien pulled it open.

"Ah, Adrien, there you are. Someone's here from lycée to see you." Peering through the crack in the closet door, Ladybug could see Nathalie with someone besides her, someone she couldn't quite make out.

She took a slight step to the side, the view changing slightly and allowing her to see the lower half of the girl's body. A girl? She didn't remember Adrien mentioning anything about any girls. The girls hands moved quickly in front of her. Intricate movements with her hands and fingers; Ladybug realising she was signing.