Level 11: Masking the Truth

Flashback Cutscene: Rendezvous

9 years and 6 months ago...

"How often do you feel like this?" Adrien asked, walking to stand opposite her as she mindlessly spun one of the handles on the foosball table.

"Honestly?... Too often," she sighed. Her fingers absentmindedly stroked over one of the small wooden players, the wood surprisingly cool to feel through the layer of her super suit.

She didn't know why she came. If she'd had any sense she wouldn't have, but sense was seriously lacking at the moment as her mind was consumed with this whole charade. Even when she thought the best thing to do was to break up with Adrien, there was only one person she wanted to get the view from... and that was Adrien.

This whole rendezvous was unneeded, unplanned and a pain to her heart.

Adrien moved to the other side of the table, grabbing the ball on the way and positioning himself ready to play. Many conversations had taken place over foosball — both as Marinette and Ladybug.

He placed the ball on the edge of the table, dropping it down and moving his second hand to spin a row of his players – sending the ball spinning down the table towards her goal. They played in silence for a few moments, both spinning their men in well trained ways. Mindlessly and effortlessly.

"Thinking about changing my teams again?" Adrien asked, slight humour in his voice.

She huffed out a laugh, shaking her head. How could he always be so perceptive of her? There were only two people in her life which could read her with such depth — Adrien and Chat Noir. She hated the fact the rows were all men, wanting to create her own, making the last line of defence strong, confident women.

"Something like that," she said. She slammed her hand down hard on one of the handles, spinning the line out of control; one of her players kicked the ball hard and sent it rebounding off Adrien's goal and straight back into hers.

Pushing the bar back in from where she'd pulled it out, Ladybug turned away and walked from the table over to his couch. Her heart was hurting, but her head was the champion. The headache constantly pounding like a Jackhammer to the skull had been persistent for the past couple of days. She couldn't handle this anymore. She just couldn't.

"Hey, it's okay." Adrien quickly came round to sit beside her, taking one of her hands in his which she automatically pulled back.

"No it's not! What I've got to do is not only going to hurt me, but it's going to hurt him too. I've never wanted to hurt him, I love him so much!" The final words sounded barely more than a whisper.

"Then why break up with him?"

"Because I'm lying to him, Adrien! And I hate myself for it! Do you know what it's like to see someone every single day knowing that if you could just tell them everything at least you could live with yourself."

Adrien shook his head. "Talk to him. If he loves you as much as you say he does, he'll understand. He'll listen!"

"I can't!" she cried. "I'm in such a mess. I don't want to lose him, but I know if I don't tell him I'm being the most despicable of people." She could feel her breath catching in her lungs, causing it to grow unsteady and erratic.

Adrien sat quietly and she wanted to beg him to take her hand again, to make her feel safe the way he always did. She knew she loved him from the day he gave her his umbrella; and, since their time together, as a couple, she realised exactly what he meant to her. Everything. What had she done?

"Can I tell you something?"

"If it's one of your dad jokes, I'm outta here."

Adrien chuckled. "Not this time. I'm in serious Adrien mode."