Level 19: Discovery

Flashback Cutscene: Twin Rings

Ivan's bachelor party - one year previously...

"I promise I won't get too drunk ...Yes, Marinette, I'll behave myself, you just enjoy your movie night with Alya and I'll see you later."

'If I'm asleep when you get home, don't forget to wake me up for round two.' He heard the sultry tones in her voice and was ready to turn around and run back already. 'I love you.'

"I love you too." Adrien's smile lit up brighter than the Eiffel Tower. It didn't matter that they'd been together the better part of a decade, his heart still skipped a beat every single time she told him she loved him. They'd been through so much, but it was their time now, the glistening ring she adorned her left hand with a cementing of their relationship and the commitment to the future.

"Maverick, come on man! We're going in!" Kim shouted to Adrien from where he was waiting in the line for the nightclub. Each of the guys looked dapper in a white suit reminiscent of the Navy dress whites from Top Gun.

Adrien repositioned his hat on his head, moving towards the others in the queue. Everyone was there: Nino, Max, Kim, Nathaniel, Marc, plus others from Ivan's workplace and university group. Each 'bachelor' had a nickname, Ivan being 'Iceman' — his favourite member of the Top Gun team.

As Adrien walked past a group of girls; cat calls, whistles and kisses were blown his way, causing him to look down and blush a deep shade of red. He gave them a little smile before moving on, back to his friends. He hated the attention. Since that day, almost a decade ago, he shied away from attention. He hated people picking him out of a crowd, though he should have expected it. He was dressed in a white Navy suit — even Marinette said she was jealous of other girls seeing him that evening.

"The second best man is back," a rather tipsy Ivan announced as he patted Adrien on the back and pulled him in for a side hug.

Ivan and Myléne, and Adrien and Marinette had formed an unlikely quartet since leaving university. Ivan worked a lot for Félix and Marinette was their go to interior decorator. It was a strange combination of people but it worked.

Ivan and Adrien found out they had a lot more in common than originally thought, and a tight friendship had formed.

"I still think I should have been Maverick," Goose aka Félix announced, folding his arms and looking away.

Adrien had to stifle a laugh as the others chastised him. A bouncer made their way down and spotted Adrien, once again gravitating towards him.

"Adrien Agreste?"

Adrien wasn't sure if he was asking him or telling him. The butch, masculine tone was gravely and hard.

"Um — yeah? I'm mean, yeah! That's me!"

"In."

Looking between each other the group huddled past the waiting line like a group of penguins in battle, each uttering an apology as they bypassed the queue and entered the venue. They were directed to the VIP area and given a booth.

"Yes!" Ivan said. "Adrien Agreste! The best fucking best man ever! All of this thanks to his pretty face."

Adrien laughed through the embarrassment, Ivan's work colleagues thanking him and the university friends being genuinely impressed. His friends, however, well, they weren't holding their punches tonight.

"You're such a tosser cuz!"

"Absolute bellend!" Nino, aka Jester, said. The DJ took his hat off and slung it on the table and instead replaced it with a red one hidden in his pocket. How the hell had that fit in there?