Part 5

Lucy and Tim split up for the shuttle ride back to the house, relieved to have just barely avoided the bottom two, but neither quite ready to confront or discuss their abject failure during today's challenge. They're almost back to the house when production announces they'll be having their first 'official' bash at the house that evening, and a themed one at that. An eager production assistant announces the theme with pride, "sEXy slumber party."

Lucy rolls her eyes and doesn't bother suppressing her groan, tuning out as the assistant coordinates with a few of the cast members toward the front of the shuttle on how they will "spontaneously" come up with the idea in a soon-to-be filmed confessional.

She takes a deep breath and tries to remind herself that it's all in good fun, that she'd wanted to come here for the experience and adventure of it all. And if hard-ass Tim could lean into that, she certainly could as well. And aside from the being aired on national television part, it's not all that different from parties she'd attended in college.

The woman sitting across the aisle smiles shyly at Lucy when their eyes briefly meet following the announcement.

"Anything to get us naked, right?" she says dryly.

Lucy shakes her head, "Apparently. I'm Lucy. From the LAPD."

"Riley. Malibu FD. So this isn't exactly your cup of tea, either?"

Lucy returns the other woman's wry smile, "I'm trying to keep an open mind, but it's been a bit more than I bargained for so far."

Riley nods, "You can say that again. It doesn't help that my ex is a complete dickhead. I thought I was going to vomit during that challenge. How's yours?"

Lucy briefly debates her answer, unsure of whether or not she should reveal the mix-up, and then decides it can't really hurt anything if the goal is for the truth to come out regardless. Corroboration will work in their favor. Besides, how nice would it be if she had someone she could actually talk to about this ridiculous situation?

"He's fine, I guess. Not a dickhead. Well, usually not a dickhead. Sometimes a dickhead, but not here so far. But also not my ex. He used to be my boss, actually; he was my TO, so you can imagine how awkward that challenge was for us," Lucy finishes with an uncomfortable laugh.

Riley's mouth drops open, "You're kidding me?! How did that happen?"

***

Back at the house, Lucy begins to feel more and more at ease. Bonding with Riley and a few of the other women that are also cringing over the idea of the sEXy slumber party, Lucy is starting to feel more herself, and truly enjoying the chance to connect with other women in similar professions.

The drinking starts as soon as Wardrobe wheels a selection of lingerie into the women's changing area, and Lucy decides that relying on a bit of liquid courage to get her through the evening may not be the worst idea.

She finds a matching set including a lacy bralette adorned with pearl buttons, lacy shorts secured with a satin ribbon, and a satin robe in a deep forest green that reminds her of the dress she'd worn to Angela's first wedding, and she feels a brief tickle in her stomach as she remembers Tim's reaction to her in that dress that night. Before everything had gone to shit, she had almost, almost wondered if the look he'd given her that night had meant something more.

 Before everything had gone to shit, she had almost, almost wondered if the look he'd given her that night had meant something more

Inspo for Lucy's outfit

But she dismisses the thought as quickly as it arises, just as she's done many, many times before. Because the idea of something more between her and Tim is obviously absurd. Because nothing did come of that look — not at Angela's second wedding and not in the months that followed where she saw less and less of him as he got more and more engaged with his new role.

And though she brought it on herself, she also hasn't forgotten the certain rejection Tim had been ready to deliver to her on her last day in the training program in response to her supposed confession. And, despite knowing there was literally no other response he could have offered her then — sitting in their shop together still on shift, still Rookie and TO — it still never fails to deflate her anytime that weird flightiness begins to take shape in her stomach at the thought of Tim, the idea of something more.

With the alcohol loosening her inhibitions and the buzz of energy that is singularly specific to getting all dressed up for a big event with a group of people, Lucy finds herself oddly excited for the idiotically themed party, and, though she immediately stuffs the idea back down, maybe even a little excited to see Tim's reaction to her outfit.

Though she's surrounded by gorgeous women, including many that have opted for far more risqué selections, Lucy feels pretty damn good about her choice as she takes a final spin in front of the dressing room mirror. She secures the robe, feeling confident, but not quite ready to put it all out there just yet, before doing a final check on her makeup and tousled waves.

The thumping music coming from downstairs is a clear indication that the party is well underway. Lucy joins Riley and a few of the other women as they head down into the chaos.

Lucy's not entirely sure what she expects the men to be wearing, given the fact that lingerie-themed parties are typically just an excuse to exploit women, but she stifles a laugh as she takes in the assortment of choices, ranging from ridiculous onesies to tighty whities to boxers to the endlessly entertaining superhero-themed briefs.

She does a quick scan for Tim, wondering about the choice he's made, but gives up the search when Riley begins pulling her toward the bar. And then she lets go, giving in to the pull of the music, dancing freely and wildly — first with the group of women she'd come down with and then being gradually absorbed into other groups and getting the chance to connect with others in the house.

***

It doesn't matter to Tim that he's surrounded by beautiful women. It doesn't matter to Tim that he's surrounded by beautiful women in lingerie. It doesn't even matter to Tim that he's surrounded by beautiful women in lingerie that are vying for his attention.

Because the instant his eyes settle on her, she is the only person in the room for him. The only person he has any desire to look at or talk to, and most definitely, the only person he has any desire to see in lingerie. And he tries not to think too much about how deeply concerning that is. Because this is Lucy. His rookie. Someone he is supposed to protect and mentor and look out for, someone that trusts and looks up to him.

He is relieved to see that she seems to be enjoying herself, relaxed and carefree as she dances, and back to her sunshine-y Lucy self.

And, at first, he is also deeply relieved to see she's chosen something relatively conservative given the theme of the party, certain that after today, seeing even more of his boot's body will only make things that much more awkward and uncomfortable between them. But that's before he notices the way the robe just perfectly skims along the curve of her ass, before the glimpses of skin and lace that periodically appear as she moves to the beat of the music drive him absolutely wild with the need to know just what exactly she's got on underneath.

And though she may not actually be showing much more skin than she had been during the challenge this morning, there's no denying the tantalizing thrill of simply knowing the intimate and seductive context of what she's chosen to wear tonight.