Chapter 10 Bonus

Murtagh carried her limp form into the darkness, his eyes searching for the black dragon, whose furious roars had been heard in the night, steadily growing more distant.

His eyes flickered to the woman in his arms, her pale skin spattered with blood, hair stained red.

"Why doesn't Fang try to save her?" Thorn wondered. "Could she actually be a wild dragon that is working with Fallyn?"

"It's possible," Murtagh agreed as they flew swiftly towards Urû'baen. "I can't imagine willingly leaving you with my enemy. Especially if it means your likely death."

"Fang could also be hoping that Galbatorix wants her alive more than anything and will keep Fallyn alive long enough for her to attempt a rescue?" Thorn suggested. "She could also be trying to ambush us."

"Try to keep an eye out," Murtagh reminded. "The Eldunari are silent now. The song is definitely coming from Fallyn."

"A spell? Even unconscious, it continues uninterrupted," Thorn's mind seemed distracted.

"Block it out," Murtagh said, helping to secure Thorn's mind against the maddening music. "We need to be completely aware in case Fang ambushes us."

His eyes swept across the dark sky, seeing no distant shape nor hearing the sound of wings other than Thorn's. He looked up below... there was no sign of Fang.

He looked down at Fallyn's limp form, her head resting against his shoulder.

"What have you done? Where did she go?" he thought.

Fallyn stirred, and he forced her back into a deep slumber with a murmur of words in the Ancient Language.

"Ma ghilana mir din'an," she murmured in her sleep. "Ma harel, lethallin... Ma harel lasa..."

Murtagh swallowed, recalling how she would occasionally speak in her sleep back when they were travelling to the Varden. He gripped her a little tighter as guilt and shame swept through him. He wished he could just set her down, far from Galbatorix and leave her there... but Galbatorix had made certain he could no longer wiggle out of orders.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered. "I wish I didn't have to be the one who handed you to him."

She shifted as if dreaming.

"Harel...lasa..."