Chapter 13

Fang watched Nasuada pace back and forth along the sand before the dark woman turned to her.

"You have to take me back," she said.

"No," the dragon answered. "I will not risk more than I already have, Lady Nasuada. Fallyn sacrificed her freedom for yours. We shall wait here until the time is right."

"And when might that be? The Varden need me!"

"When he arrives," she answered, her red eyes searching the skies. "And you left capable people to watch over the Varden in your place. Have faith."

"Who is he?" Nasuada demanded. "Is it this 'old god of unity, chains, and slaves?' Can he really be trusted?"

Fang did not answer, not immediately. She was worried about Fallyn, fearing what Galbatorix might do to her while Fang hid in the mountains. That fear, and Nasuada's constant demands for answers, had begun to eat away at Fang's good nature.

"He is a friend. More I cannot say, but you will understand when you lay eyes upon him," she said shortly. "Stay here. I shall scout and see if he has arrived yet."

Without waiting for the woman to answer, the black dragon took to the sky. She was impatient, longing for those she waited for to appear. The sooner they arrived, the sooner she'd be able to go rescue Fallyn.

Despite the distance between them, she knew Fallyn was at least still alive. A puff of smoke escaped her nostrils as she, once again, found nothing. Instead, she hunted down a deer and took it back with her to the cave they were hiding in. While she did not need to eat as often, Nasuada needed to eat at least twice a day. While there were fruit-bearing trees nearby that she could use for food, she needed something more substantial at least once in the day.

"I hope you are staying strong, vhenan," she thought as she dropped the deer in the cave. "I have seen nothing of them yet, but I am sure they grow ever nearer.