Chapter 11: Chase

TW

PTSD
MENTIONS OF WAR AND VIOLENCE
INDICATIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT

————————————————————————————

I'm sat in my office staring at the blank wall in front of me when a soft knock disturbs my thoughts, looking up I see clover stood in the doorway rocking on her heels and looking at me wearily.

"Yeah?" She blinks at me and clears her throat, concern flickering through her eyes. She's too damn emotional, I don't know how her heart is still so pure after everything I'm sure she's seen or at least knows of.

"I made lasagna, I've left yours in the oven" she says in a low voice and i hum in appreciation, her presence in my pent house is somewhat annoying but the food is a bonus. At least she's safe here.

"Are you-"I cut her off annoyed at her obvious hovering, she feels guilty for bringing up the army and she's trying to compensate for it by sticking around and wanting to talk about feelings.

"I'm fine, go to bed clover" she takes a deep breath and I almost think she's going to stay but with one last look she turns on her heel and walks away from my door. I run a hand down my face and yawn. I haven't been sleeping lately and my fucking night terrors are stopping me from getting any rest. I've got a job tomorrow, I need to be alert.

I've learned to be vigilant even when I've had no sleep, that happens when you spend most your nights rigid on a hard mattress waiting for any noise that could mean death at any moment. I'd go days without sleep but still be awake enough to function. That's all I need to do. Function efficiently.

When I hear clovers bedroom door close I get up out of my seat and head to the kitchen, I'm starving and whatever she said she's made it smells like fucking heaven. I check the time and see it's already 11:30pm

I open the oven where she said she was keeping my dinner and furrow my brows at the sticky note attached to the dish.

I'm really sorry for bringing it up chase, I should've just kept my big mouth shut.
I hope you like the lasagne.

My lips twitch slightly at her little note and I pull it off the dish and tuck it in my hoodie pocket. I pick up the food and place it on the counter, grabbing a knife and fork I start to dig in  when my phone rings.

Grey

Answering the phone and putting it on speaker i continue to eat as greys voice fills the kitchen.

"...no blue I didn't take your ice cream.......yes I know you put your name on it......don't threaten to kill your devoted husband it's not nice!........I don't even like the strawberry flavour!" I roll my eyes and wait for a minute as he discusses how he didn't take his wife's ice cream.

"Honestly she's trying to kill me" he mutters and I hear papers shuffle before he finally seems to remember he's on the phone to me and speaks again.

"Sorry about that Chase, anyway, how's my little girl?" Concern laces his tone when he mentions clover and I reassure him that she's fine and asleep.

"Any updates on the stalker?" I question and he sighs, indicating that there aren't any updates.

"No, im about to kill every bastard that works for me I swear to god, they can be so useless sometimes. I just don't understand. There's no trace of whoever sent the letter at all, no guards have seen anyone and no Cameras have been hacked. I'm starting to consider it being one of my men" he informs me and I nod even though he can't see.

Finishing my lasagna, which was really good I load my plate into the dish washer and discuss the plan of action for clover. She's still going to have to stay at mine for a while but that was what was expected anyway. After I end my conversation with grey I turn off the lights and head into my room.