Chapter13

The plan was set to use Ciri as bait for Rience. Yarpen and his men were already off spreading word around the local bars, saying that he was transporting Ciri in his caravan, there was just one piece of the plan that needed to be organised.

Jaskier.

It had been a few months since you last saw the bard, so when you heard his voice in the distance you couldn't stop the smile from spreading across your face.

"Uh, no, darling. No! Look at me."

You paused on the corner of the dark alleyway, your cloak wrapped around your body covering your black studded armour and sword. The last thing you needed was for people to spread the word that a Witcher was in town, if that happened, the plan would be blown.

It wasn't hard to spot Jaskier across the street looking up at his partner Vespula. She was leaning over the balcony above him with his lute raised in her hands in a threatening gesture.

Oh, this looked interesting. What had Jaskier done now?

"Look at my eyes. There is no need to harm the innocent!" Jaskier all but pleaded as Vespula grinned and he knew exactly what was about to happen. "No, no, no, don't! No-"

She threw the instrument over the edge of the balcony while Jaskier shouted, and you had to admit that it was a good throw. The lute flew clean over Jaskiers head before a man standing not too far behind him caught the wooden instrument with ease.

The man seemed to be important if his fur collared outfit and the fancy dressed woman beside him was anything to go by. They kind of looked familiar, but you couldn't quite figure out who they were.

You remained hidden in the shadows of the alley while Jaskier spoke with the two of them. If you wanted to listen to their conversation, you easily could with your enhanced hearing, but you hated eavesdropping on people you cared about. It was an invasion of privacy that you did not feel comfortable with, so you chose to simply watch them from a distance.

Just from body language alone the man seemed to be nice and made Jaskier smile, however the woman on the other hand, didn't seem so nice. Jaskiers body tensed whenever she spoke or got near which was setting off alarm bells in your head.

Invasion of privacy or not, you began to listen to the conversation because that woman was making you feel uneasy.

"-or we will single-handedly undo every good deed you have done for the elves... we will kill them all." The woman whispered in his ear.

Was that a threat? Was this woman threatening him?

"Yeah, yeah, I got the gist." Jaskier replied, his body so tense it was almost shaking.

You took a step forward about to go over there not caring about being spotted when Jaskier might be in trouble.

"I've got business in town before we portal back to Tretogor. You have five days." The woman continued to say before she turned around, motioning for the man to follow.

You watched cautiously as the two of them walked away not taking your eyes off them until they disappeared around the buildings further down the road.

Jaskier remained standing in the middle of the street, his shoulders relaxing once the woman left as he looked down at the lute in his hands and let out a heavy sigh.

"Bad time?" You called out, announcing your presence as you walked over to him.

Jaskiers head snapped up in your direction with wide eyes and you grinned. He shortened the distance between you and threw his free arm around your neck, pulling you into a tight hug. You chuckled softly and wrapped your arms around his back hugging him just as tightly.