Chapter 17

"Hiding my real skills, knowing I could take a life at any time. It was... exasperating." Vilgefortz continued to say before he swung the staff at Geralt who barely managed to block the attack with his sword.

You watched the two of them go back and forth. Taking swings and blocking strikes and you came to a very horrible realisation that this was a fight that Geralt might not win.

This mage was powerful.

And he was an excellent fighter. His magical staff could be warped between his hands at will, making it near impossible to get a hit in.

Shit. This wasn't going to be good.

"Today I hold back no more!" Vilgefortz shouted, knocking Geralt to the ground and raising his staff.

You sprinted over to them, skidding to your knees in front of Geralt and holding your sword up high just as Vilgefortz swung his staff down at the white haired Witcher. The blade of your sword only just managed to take the hit, saving Geralt with less than a second to spare.

The look of surprise flashing across Vilgefortz's face at your presence was pleasing, but you didn't get much time to think about it before he was already taking another swing at you with the staff.

You hastily got to your feet, deflecting the attack before you spun around the nearest pillar for cover. His metal staff slammed into the pillar so hard it cracked the cement with a sickening crunch before you jumped out from cover and swung your sword at him.

As suspected his staff was warped into his other hand, blocking your blade from piercing his skin before you swung again, and again, but he was easily able to block your sword like child's play.

Vilgefortz was more vicious and ruthless than you could have imagined.

"I have done my research on you, Y/N." Vilgefortz began to say, swinging his sword at your head, forcing you to deflect hit after hit while backing away from the mage after each swing. "The famous female Witcher. The only girl to survive the Trials."

"Why did you have Rience kidnap me? Why did you want my blood?!" You shouted, slamming your sword in his direction which he easily deflected.

"Your blood is strong. Stronger than most. You survived those Trials for a reason and in order to get Cirilla's blood to take to my test subjects I had to fuse it with yours to make it strong, and finally it worked."

"What the hell are you talking about?" You asked, dropping your guard for a split second as you tried to piece his information together.

Was he talking about Teryn? The girl Geralt rescued from the castle?

"You will know soon enough."

He swung the staff with his right hand towards your stomach and you quickly lowered your sword to deflect the metal pole when suddenly the staff vanished in his hand.

Oh, shit.

You knew exactly what was about to happen, but not even your Witcher speed could react fast enough before the magic staff appeared into his left hand and slammed into the side of your head, hard.

You hit the ground just as hard. Sharp piercing ringing was the only thing you could hear as you struggled to your hands and knees, your vision fading in and out while your entire body swayed as you fought to stay conscious.

Blood dripped from your forehead mixing into the sand below you. Your head was thumping viciously in pain like it had been split open. Hell, it might have been, you weren't going to rule it out.

You knew you needed to get back up. You knew you needed to grab your sword and get to your feet because Vilgefortz would take the finishing hit any second, but your body wouldn't cooperate.