our best friend (t.c)

SEPTEMBER 23, 2022
9:27 p.m.
The Carpenter's front yard.

Typically after a date with your girlfriend, it ends with dropping her off at her house with a hug and a kiss goodbye. That's how it usually ended between y/n and Tara.

This time, things were different. When y/n and Tara went on a small date to the drive in theater, they had an unexpected guest appear.

Apparently Amber had made arrangements with Tara beforehand to meet up at 'their spot'. And Tara wasn't answering her texts so Amber got her location and paid herself a visit.

Little did y/n know was that Amber and Tara had been more than friends. She would have never found out if Amber didn't accidentally spill the beans when describing details of  the 'spot'.

Furious, y/n drove to Tara's house with tears flowing through her eye sockets and dripping down to her cheeks and neck. The car ride was silent until the end of it. The only sound that could be heard was the engine roaring slightly.

Tara had finally started to talk about everything just as they had entered her subdivision, but that only led to a heated argument between the couple.

•••

Tara was just sick of hearing y/n complain at this point. As soon as y/n parked to the side of the road, Tara got out immediately and started rushing towards her front door.

Y/n followed a little bit, still talking to her with anger, yet so much pain filled her voice. "You don't even fucking care, do you?"

Tara just kept walking, not responding to her girlfriend. Y/n hadn't realized it until now, but her driveway was pretty long.

"Was it your goal to just fucking use me? To shatter me to a million pieces?" Y/n practically sobbed.

"That's not what it was like!" Tara turned around abruptly. Her voice shrilled and she got defensive.

"Oh yeah?" Y/n came closer to the small brunette girl before her, still maintaining a distance. "Then why'd you cheat?" Y/n choked, her voice softening.

Tara exhaled, but it seemed to be with irritation. Tara didn't even know what to say. She didn't even know why she did it.

Y/n chuckles sarcastically, tears still falling. She starts to walk backwards, away from Tara. "You're a fucking bitch, you know that?" Tara looks down at her shoes, hurt that the one person who she truly loved would say such a thing to her.

"You didn't answer me," y/n's voice fills with sadness, yet so demanding. "Why'd you do it?"

Again, no response from Tara. She looked into y/n's pained eyes for just a moment, but quickly looked back down at her tan-colored converse.

Tara was hurt. It felt horrible making her girlfriend feel so unloved, no longer cared for, leaving her in utter pain.

Y/n looked deeply into Tara's eyes, which weren't staring back into hers. "Did you ever even love me?"
Y/n cried out. Her voice so soft, it nearly sounded like a whisper.

It took Tara a minute to respond. "I di- I still do,"

"If you did, why would you hurt me like this?" Tara still didn't respond when the same question arose. "Y-you cheated on me with our best friend. Why?" Her voice so soft, it was nearly a whisper.