End Of The Course

It rained all night. Endless drips hit the rickety wooden roof, annoying Heather as she tossed and turned. It was bad enough having to deal with the tension between Courtney and Gwen all night. Both girls avoided one another while going to bed, leaving a thick cloud of hatred in the air. The stormy weather wreaked havoc on the loser's cabin, adding to everyone's sour mood. After what felt like only a few minutes, Heather awoke to the damp morning.

She slid out of bed, quickly leaving the other girls in silence. She exited the cabin and bumped into Alejandro sitting on the steps. Heather took him in and groaned. "Watch where you're sitting! What are you like waiting for me?" Alejandro looked up at her. "You walked into me, mi querida. And no, I was simply thinking about today's challenge." Heather took a seat beside him on the steps. She looked behind her, checking for listening ears, and spoke. "These challenges have been way more straightforward than before. At least during my seasons, the challenges were painless. After the newbies season, Chris got some crazy blood-lust. I wonder what pain-filled game we're about to play today?" She said, tossing her ponytail. Alejandro nodded in agreement. "Chris certainly has increased his need for human suffering compared to the earlier seasons. But his challenges seem lazy these days. There's less movement and complexity and more brutal pain. I expect today will be the same." He said solemnly.

Heather pulled her notepad from her pocket. She flipped to a blank page and scribbled down what Alejandro had said. "So our best chance as a team is to keep Scott around to use as a pain magnet during challenges. Then, it makes sense that either Gwen or Courtney go. Personally, I want Courtney gone first! She's so conniving she should be next." She said, very matter-of-factly. She looked to Alejandro, feeling a sense of deja-vu. Once again she was insisting they eliminate Courtney and once again Alejandro refused to listen to her concerns. "I don't believe Courtney is a threat. Gwen is the one who would be dangerous come merge time. I think we should send her home sooner rather than later." He stroked his chin, deep in thought.

Heather rolled her eyes. "Whatever, it's one of them anyway," She placed her notepad in her back pocket and started to stand when Alejandro's hand reached out and grabbed her wrist, pulling her back down and close to him. "We have to agree on a target as an alliance. I say we go for Gwen. Sounds good?" He stared into her gray eyes, attempting to sway her. Heather felt herself getting lost in Alejandro's emerald eyes. She admired the sparkle in them along with his long, soft eyelashes framing his face. His smile was infectious. Heather couldn't help but crack a grin looking at him. "Okay sure. Gwen goes." He released the gentle grip on her wrist as Heather inched closer. "This season seems so much easier than last season." She giggled, a blush creeping onto her face as she felt Alejandro close to her. He lowered his voice and ran his fingers through his hair. "Who would have guessed we'd be running the game together?" He chuckled along with Heather.

The loudspeaker beside the cabin clicked on. "Now that the weather's cleared up, get your waterlogged butts to the beach for today's beatdown. I mean challenge." Chris laughed and turned the speaker off. Heather stood from the steps. "I'll see you on the beach. Oh and did the boys get breakfast this morning? Chef didn't launch any disgusting slop our way today." She crossed her arms and let her usual frown take over her face. Alejandro raised one eyebrow. "No, we didn't. My gut is telling me it'll be another eating challenge. Let's hope I'm wrong." Heather nodded and left him sitting on the steps.

As she strolled through the woods, heading to the beach, the butterflies in her chest and stomach dissipated. Clarity entered her mind. 'How did he convince me that Gwen should be the target? Courtney is the obvious choice! Ugh! How does he always flip me on my head like that?!' She stomped forward towards the beach, good mood completely gone.