3 - Niffler

A ferry sailed through the sea, headed for New York. On one of the benches were Newt and I, ready to release a thunderbird, who Newt and I had decided to call Frank, and to hopefully enjoy a bit of New York at the same time. 

"Arizona, here we come..." I said under her breath, quite excited. Newt looked to me, smiling, also excited. 

One of the switches on Newt's case flipped open, and the quiet sound of a creature came from inside it. That would have been the Demiguise. Newt sat the case on his lap, and laid his head gently on it, smiling.

"Dougal... settle down now please." I smiled as Dougal made a sound of protest from inside the case. "It won't be long."

"Don't worry, Dougal, we're almost here." I said quietly to the case. Newt hugged his case, looking out to the sea. I followed his gaze and looked out with him.

"Come on, Lia, we've arrived." Newt and I walked off the ferry with the other people on board it with them. We walked up to one of the muggle security guards at one of the many tables of security. Newt handed his muggle passport over, and I did the same. The security guard looked at Newt, who stared at... nothing in particular, his usual gaze.

"British?" The guard asked.

"Yes." Newt replied, not looking up.

"First trip to New York?"

"Yes."

The guard pointed to Newt's case. "Anything edible in there?"

"No."

"Livestock?" Newt looked up to the guard. 'What weird questions!' I thought, frowning at the ground slightly. The same hatch from Newt's case flipped open again. Newt (and the security guard) looked down at it. I closed the hatch again.

"We will need to find a way to fix that, Newt." I said, trying to lie, which was kind of difficult, but manageable.

"You're right." He looks up to the security guard. "Uh, no."

The security guard put down the two passports and pointed to Newt's case.

"Let me have a look."

Newt broke his gaze and looked up to the guard, who was impatiently waiting for him to hand the case over. Newt did so, flipping a small, enclosed switch that said: 'Muggle Worthy'. I smiled, trying not to laugh at the muggle guard's ignorance.

"Smart." I whispered under my breath.

"Thank you." Newt whispered back, smiling. The guard opened the case to find some normal Muggle items, clothes, and Newt's favourite Hufflepuff scarf. The guard took a quick second to check that nothing suspicious was in there. He glanced at Newt, who smiled vaguely back at him.

"Welcome to New York."

"Thank you." Newt took the case and the passports back, flipping the switch again, and handed my passport back to me. We walked off into New York.

"Newt, you can't trust me with my passport. I'm bound to lose it within the first 5 minutes, you know me!" Newt smiled at this remark and took back my passport.

"The question is, can you trust me to keep it safe?" I smiled too.

"I think if you're a magizoologist who can look after Teddy and the likes of him, looking after a passport will be no trouble at all!" Newt chuckled, rolling his eyes slightly.

"You're probably right!" Newt stopped suddenly in his tracks, and I stopped with him.

"What is it?" I asked, concerned.