11 - Escaping MACUSA

"Don't do this, Bernadette... Please..." Tina said, crying, as she, along with Newt and I, were forced into a room with a grey potion and a place to walk.

"It don't hurt." One of the MACUSA team, presumably Bernadette, replied. I watched, flinching as I saw Bernadette put her wand on Tina's temple, then slowly took it away, a light blue... thing... I didn't know what... being produced from her... brain, I presumed.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Memories..." Newt breathed, terrified. "Specific memories... happy ones, to lure her in..."

I widened my eyes, more terrified by the second. I watched Tina's memories being thrown into the potion, as images of Tina's childhood appeared in the potion.

"Tina..." A voice said. I looked around, confused. Where was that voice coming from?

"Momma..." Tina said, smiling.

"Tina... come on, pumpkin, time for bed. Are you ready?" The voice said. My confusion was removed as I looked at the grey potion, which was showing... well, as Newt said, happy memories, to lure her in. Tina laughed, happy.

"Don't that look good?" Bernadette said, looking at Tina.

Tina laughed again.

"You wanna get in? Huh?" 

Tina nodded, still smiling.

"Pick." I said suddenly. I saw Newt look at me from the corner of my eye. He smiled at me, realising. He wiped the smile from his face.

"Pick?" One of the guards repeated, confused. I turned to Newt and saw that he had realised what I meant.

"I promise... never to pick on anyone... ever again." I said, trying to cover it up.

"I know, Lia. I know." Newt said, trying not to smile. I looked back and saw Pickett climbing down to Newt's handcuffs.

"Now... let's get the good stuff out of you..." I heard Newt's guard say, a wicked smile on her face. Newt pulled his hands from his handcuffs, freeing himself. I elbowed my guard. Newt released the Swooping Evil and attacked the other guards with a wand from one of the guards, making them fall unconscious. He ran over to me and released me from my handcuffs. We hugged each other, both of us relieved.

"Well done, Newt." I said, smiling.

"Mr. Scamander...!" Tina exclaimed, jumping up from the chair. Newt rushed over to her. I followed him.

"Okay, now, don't panic!" He said, looking at the Swooping Evil.

"What do you suggest I do instead?" Tina asked, irritated.

"Jump." Newt replied.

"Are you crazy?!" Tina said, looking down at the potion.

"No, he's not. The Swooping Evil." I answered, looking up at it as it circled around the room.

"Tina, listen to me." Newt said, trying to reassure her. "I'll catch you."

Tina paused, then looked down at the potion again, scared.

"Tina!" Tina looked back up to Newt. "I'll catch you. I've got you, Tina." He whistled at the Swooping Evil, which flew down to the gap between Tina and Newt. "Go!" He shouted. Tina yelped, then stepped on the Swooping Evil's back, and was then caught by Newt. I smiled as they looked into each other's eyes for a split second, before Newt stepped back to catch the Swooping Evil. He did so, then ran out of the room, holding Tina's hand.

"Come on!" He said. Tina and I ran out with him.

"Newt, behind you!" I shouted as the three of us ran through MACUSA to escape. The Swooping Evil killed the guard behind Newt, as well as a few others that had come down to capture them. A guard slipped past the Swooping Evil, but I caught sight of him.

"STUPEFY!" I shouted, and the guard fell.

"You've learnt that already?" Newt exclaimed, surprised, dodging another guard as it was taken down by the Swooping Evil.

"Yeah! I've taken an extended course!" I said.

"Leave his brains!" Newt said to the Swooping Evil, who had stopped to eat one of the guard's brain. "Come on! Come on!" The Swooping Evil flew back up.

"What is that thing?" Tina asked me.

"Swooping Evil!" Newt replied, defending himself from another guard.

"Well, I love it!" Tina said, laughing. I ran ahead and almost crashed into Queenie and Jacob, who had Newt's case. Queenie held it in front of us.

"Get in." She said. We obeyed at once, Jacob climbing down last.

"That was close." I said, out of breath.

"Yeah..." Jacob said, trying to calm down. "I had to kick down a door. Wasn't the best."

"Wait, you kicked down a door?" I asked, surprised.

"Oh, yeah! Had to, to get into the guy's office and get Newt's case."

I smiled. "Impressive!" I said, laughing lightly.

"Right, Lia Scamander." Newt said, walking over to me. "Bed."

I looked to Newt, upset. No way would I be sleeping after all that!

"I'm not tired, Newt. Besides, what about Dougal?" Newt smiled.

"I'll take care of Dougal. You are going to sleep." He said sternly, but still smiling. Tina frowned.

"What's the time?" She asked, tired.

"I... don't actually know." Newt admitted, looking down.

"Uh... it's morning, Newt." Jacob said, looking down at his watch. I smiled smugly, crossing my arms.

"See, Newt, I can't sleep in the morning!" Newt looked to me, smiling too.

"I guess you don't need to sleep, then..." He said, giving in. "If, and only if, you promise to get an early night tonight."

"Okay..." I said, rolling my eyes slightly, but smiling.

A knock came from the case. Jacob climbed up the ladder first, followed by the rest of us.