5 - MACUSA/Jacob

Newt, Tina and I walked through a corridor, Tina holding our shoulders tightly. I blinked in pain as I felt Tina accidentally scratching my arm.

"I'm sorry, w-where exactly are we going?" Newt asked Tina, who looked straight out, almost proud.

"We're going to the investigative department. They'll sort you both out fast." I looked at Newt in shock, horrified by a thought that came into my mind. Newt looked back, confused, and worried about me.

"Are you sure we need to go to someone? I mean, we can't just... obliviate the muggle and be over with it?" I asked, nervous.

"No, we have to go in." Tina replied, walking faster. Newt and I were lurched forwards, and we had to speed up to walk comfortably. 

We made it to the office after what felt to me like an eternity. Tina raised her hand to knock, but instead walked straight in, followed by Newt and I, who looked at each other, confused but worried.

"Newt, what if they ask to see the case?" I asked. Newt's face hardened with worry. If they did ask to see the case, he couldn't very well refuse! What if they found what was in there?!

"We have to go in. If we don't, we'll be wanted." Newt replied, walking in. I followed, reluctant.

"This could mean exposure. It could mean war." Were the words I heard as I entered the room.

"War?" I whispered to myself. Newt looked back at me, concerned. The people in the room turned as Tina, Newt and I entered. I looked at them each, terrified.

"I made your position here quite clear, Miss Goldstein." A woman, stood opposite another man, said gravely.

"Yes, Madam President, but I..." Tina started.

"You are no longer an Auror." The woman said. I looked at Tina, confused. Why did Tina have that card if she wasn't an Auror anymore? Why did Tina want to take Newt and I in if she couldn't do anything about it?

"No, Madam President, but..."

"Goldstein..."

"There's been a minor incident..."

"Well, this office is currently concerned with very major incidents. Get out."

Tina nodded, obviously upset, but trying to hide it. "Yes, ma'am."

Tina walked out, and Newt and I followed, looking at each other, Newt with confusion, me with mild amusement.

"So... you two got your wand permits?" Tina asked Newt as we walked through a room filled with small desks and chairs. Newt looked at Tina, confused. "All foreigners need to have them in New York."

"I made an application weeks ago." I smiled. I didn't really want to know what the application Newt made would have looked like. Probably messy, not organised, and definitely no neat handwriting. 'Newt hates doing things like that. His worst fear is working in an office.' I thought to myself. Truth be told, turns out Newt never made an application in the first place.

"Scamander... And you were just in Equatorial Guinea?" Tina asked, writing everything down.

"And I've just completed a year in the fields. I'm writing a book about magical creatures." Newt replied happily.

"Like... an extermination guide?" Tina asked, confused.

"No, a guide to help people understand why we should be protecting these creatures instead of killing them." Newt replied frankly.

"Come on, Newt, let's get out of here." I said, looking at Tina, puzzled.

"Goldstein! Where is she?" Tina dived under the desk, leaving Newt and I, both just as confused as each other. A man walked to the desk, clearly searching for Tina. "Where is she? Goldstein!" The man looked at Newt for a second, then looked at the desk. "Goldstein?"