13 - Occamy and Demiguise

The five of us walked up to the shop that Gnarlak had suggested in the bar, eyes searching and alert. We caught sight of a handbag on a doll being removed by something invisible. Newt and I looked at each other, then back at the handbag. Dougal.

"This way." Newt whispered, quietly entering the shop. The rest of us followed, careful not to make a sound.

"So Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked." Newt explained. He looked to Jacob and Queenie.

"You two, head that way. And try very hard not to be predictable." 

Jacob and Queenie crept off, looking to each other, confused. A crash came from the upstairs of the shop. We looked to the stairs, where we heard a cry from a creature.

"Was that the Demiguise?" Tina asked, scared.

"No, but I think it might be the reason that the Demiguise is here." Newt started.

"I think I know which creature is up there, Newt..." I said, starting to climb the stairs where the Demiguise had just walked up.

"Which creature-" Newt asked, following me with Tina, who walked up last, still scared.

"The Occamy. I thought one was missing when I visited them in the case when you were with that dodgy goblin." I whispered, reaching the top of the stairs.

"What's it doing?" Tina asked, watching the Demiguise (who had appeared in front of us) get something from his handbag, which he had slung on his arm.

"It's babysitting." Newt said, looking at it, fascinated.

"What did you just say?" Tina asked, frowning.

"This is my fault. You're right, Lia, there were 4 creatures that escaped yesterday. I thought I had them all when I counted 3, but I must have... miscounted."

"It was babysitting that?" Tina asked, looking, wide-eyed and scared, up at one of the Occamies, which had grown remarkably in size, as it appeared out of the shadows. I smiled. Beautiful.

"Occamies are choranaptyxic." Newt explained, creeping slowly towards it, maintaining eye contact with the Occamy. "So they grow to fill available space." He held out his hand to show the Occamy that he was not dangerous. "Mummy's here."

We heard Queenie and Jacob as they walked up the stairs, forgetting to be quiet. I looked back as Queenie walked towards the Occamy, mesmerized, and kicked a bauble, which made a soft tinkling sound. I turned back as the Occamy, disturbed, moved, scared, bringing Newt with it in its wing, and sent a bookcase to the ground.

"Newt!" I shouted, worried.

"We need an insect, any kind of insect, and a teapot!" Newt shouted down, looking around to try and help us. "Find a teapot!"

And so the great, chaotic search/chase began. Queenie, and Jacob, who had made a friend out of the Demiguise, looked around for an insect. I screamed as the Occamy sent two bookshelves almost on top of me, blocking me in. I took charge, looking through a small gap in the bookshelves that had boxed me in.

"Tina, look for a teapot!" I said. I looked up and caught sight of a teapot. "Tina!" I called to Tina, who was trying to catch an insect. Tina looked up. "Teapot!" I pointed through the gap to a teapot, which was on top of a number of shelves. Tina nodded and headed up to grab the teapot. Jacob caught an insect as Tina grabbed hold of the teapot. 

"Teapot!" Tina called to alert the others. The Occamy stopped moving to look at the insect. Jacob got squashed by part of the Occamy. Newt appeared from behind the Occamy's head.