15 - Farewells

Everyone in the station waited, confused, for Newt, who had raced inside to get one of his creatures from his case. The suspense was lifted as Newt walked up the ladder and out of the case, soon followed by Frank, who soared into the air, and landed, facing Newt and I. I ran forward to hug Frank goodbye.

"I was intending to wait until we got to Arizona," Newt said, "But it seems like now you're our only hope, Frank."

"I'll miss you, Frank." I said, stroking Frank's beak. I stepped back to let Newt say his farewell to the thunderbird.

"I'll miss you too." Newt said, before stepping back. I reached into my jumper pocket and took out the vial, full of a bright blue liquid - the Swooping Evil's venom, properly diluted to remove bad memories. I handed it to Newt, who held it up to Frank.

"You know what you've got to do." He said, smiling. He threw it into the air, and Frank caught it, before soaring into the air, above the muggles, into the sky, causing the venom to rain down, disguised by rain and thunder. Then Frank flew away, never to be seen by Newt or me again.

"That venom has incredibly powerful obliviative properties." Newt stated, smiling up at the sky, proud of Frank. I looked up too, just as proud.

"We owe you a great debt, Mr. Scamander." The President said, smiling. "Now, get you, your daughter, and that case out of New York."

"Yes, Madam President." Newt and I said together, smiling at each other.

The President walked away a short distance with the Aurors, before turning back, frowning.

"Is that No-Maj still here?" She asked. She looked at Jacob, who raised his hand, smiling slightly. She sighed. "Obliviate him. There can be no exceptions."

"But Jacob... he's our friend..." I said quietly, before looking down, embarrassed. I didn't mean to say anything...

"I'm sorry, but even one witness. You know the law." She said, sympathetic. "I'll let you say goodbye."

The five of us walked out of the station, all looking upset. Jacob turned to the rest of us.

"Hey... this is for the best..." He said, trying (and failing) not to cry. "Yeah, I was never even supposed to be here. I was never..." He sniffed, starting to break down. That made tears swell in my eyes. Not Jacob! Not after everything we did together! "supposed to know... any of this... Everybody knows Newt and Lia, they only kept me around because... Hey, you guys, why did you keep me around?"

Newt and I looked up. "Because I like you." Newt said, trying to smile. "Because you're my friend. And I'll never forget how you helped me, Jacob." That must have had a remarkable affect on Newt, to be able to call Jacob his friend. He didn't get to say that very often, as he always struggled, and still struggles now, to make friends.

"You stuck around to help us. We made no sense to you..." Newt chuckled. "But you still helped. Even when every instinct told you not to do so."

"Oh-" Jacob said, his voice breaking.

"I'll come with you." Queenie said, smiling. Jacob laughed lightly. "We'll go somewhere, we'll go anywhere! You see, I ain't never gonna find anyone like you."

"There's loads like me." Jacob said, pointing behind him.

"No... No..." Queenie said, starting to cry. "There's only one like you."

Jacob paused, crying.

"I gotta go." He turned around to walk out. We walked up the steps. He couldn't leave! He couldn't! He was my friend too!