Part 17: Care

RAYAAN

RAYAAN

Tears cascaded from Meera's eyes, dampening the bedsheet beneath her head, and I realized my tone had been too harsh.

"Is it hurting anywhere?" I asked gently, placing my palm on her forehead to check her temperature.

I had returned home about an hour ago, only to find her sleeping. Something seemed off, as her face appeared flushed. My assumptions got cleared when I checked her temperature, She was burning. I quickly got on my toes to bring cold water and clean cloth.

I was angry at her, she didn't even bother to call me. But looking at her scared form now, scared and vulnerable, my anger fled away.

She shook her head, trying to get up from the bed.

I took off the wet cloth from her forehead"Please lay down. You had a high fever when I got back home. Didn't I ask you to call me if there was an emergency? " I asked, remembering to keep my tone gentle this time.

"I am sorry. I am really sorry. I don't know how this happened. I am sorry. I didn't want to trouble you. I am really sorry" she started chanting 'sorry' non-stop, her panicked state quite evident.

Sitting beside her, I wrapped an arm around her, trying to calm her down

"I am really sorry" She sobbed not meeting my gaze.

I felt bad scaring her. "It's alright, Meera. Relax. I am here. Don't worry," I reassured her.

She kept her head down, her body was trembling, " I... I didn't want to trouble you", she whispered through her sobs after minutes of silence.

"The only trouble I get is when I see you crying " I cupped her face, lifting it up to make her face me.

Her feverish face was crimson from crying, and her teary eyes looked exhausted. Traces of her tears were visible on her cheeks, and her lips were quivering.

Wiping away her tears, I gently brushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry."

She looked at me with disbelief, her expression resembling that of an innocent child. She was indeed sensitive like a child.

Helping her lie down on the bed, I asked, "Do you want to eat anything?"

She shook her head, cautiously watching my every move as I dipped the cloth in water and squeezed it before placing it on her forehead.

I caressed her hair, and she let out a tired sigh. Her head must have been aching. Moving closer, I softly massaged her head, and she grabbed my wrist, trying to push my hand away, " Don't do it"

"Did you do what I asked you to do?" I raised an eyebrow at her. She glanced at my face briefly before quickly withdrawing her hand.

Good.

I continued massaging her head while she eventually dozed off, and her temperature had also gone down by then.

I changed into comfortable clothes and went downstairs. My parents arrived, and they asked about Meera. I told them about her fever, and Mom headed to the kitchen, probably giving specific instructions to the cook for preparing food for Meera. Mom was genuinely worried about her well-being, "I think traveling didn't suit her or maybe she is not liking here"

Dad nodded in agreement, " Yeah! Maybe she is taking too much stress. I think we shouldn't leave her alone. It's a new place for her. She needs time "

"You are right! I will take a few more holidays. The people at work can manage without me. They just need my supervision," Mom said as she contemplated her work.

"You don't have to worry Mom. I will be there with her" I interjected. My workload is hectic right now but I can work from home for a couple of days. I want to spend time with Meera and make her feel comfortable.

"I see what you're doing there, son," Dad smirked, making me flush. "I have been there too" He winked laughing along with Mom.

"I... I was just saying it because... " I was left hanging when Mom completed it for me, "because you wanted to spend time with her "She playfully fist-bumped with Dad, and both of them guffawed at my expense.

"Dad it's... "

"Okay, Son. Give these oldies some time with your wife. You can happily take over your work, and we will gladly take care of your wife," Dad said, leaving no room for arguments.

I sighed.

"Aww! Look at his face. Okay, fine! You can look after my daughter " Mom giggled pulling my cheeks. I patted her hands away but she pulled me in a bear hug. Dad couldn't resist so he joined in too.

Sometimes they just forget that I have grown up now. I am freaking 28 years now.

Some old discussions broke out and we conversed over it till the dinner was ready.

We took our plates and went to my room.

Meera looked astonished when she faced us right after coming from the washroom.

"How are you feeling, love? " Mom went to her, checking her temperature.

Once Mom was satisfied that Meera was better, she made her sit on the couch between her and Dad, facing me.

"I am sorry, I didn't want to be a trouble" Meera mumbled keeping her head low.

"There's nothing such as trouble, Meera. We are family," Dad reassured her, patting her head.

Feeling content, I looked at them together, cherishing the moment. It felt good to see Meera surrounded by my loving family. I hoped our bond would remain strong over the years to come.

It was a peaceful dinner with the family.