Chapter 18

It was night, and a shiver ran down Merita's spine as she walked down the path to the hidden well. She looks at the night sky with a smile as she knew in her heart that the ghost children were now free and that her curse was now broken, but then she looked forward with a serious expression as she knew that she needed to show how " grateful " she was for the Beldam's " kindness " towards her. When she got to the well, she opened the cover and jumped into the well. She landed on the other world, and saw that the Beldam was waiting for her at the bottom. Merita then chuckled at the weak sight of the Beldam, her button eyes and her hand were gone.

Merita: ( to the Beldam, mockingly: ) Need a hand?

Beldam: Why did you return, fox? Did you realize that there's no place for you in the real world?

Merita: ( crossed her arms and glared at the Beldam ) No. I just came back to tell you how grateful I am for you taking me in. But, you know, it's strange... Since Coraline and I  met, some strange, yet blurry memories kept coming to me, but as soon as they came, I forgot them when you ring that blasted bell. So... Tell me, Mother. What else did that bell do whenever it rang.

Beldam: Oh, now you remember... Every time it rang, it erased any memory you had of your family, but some bits and pieces remained.

Merita: Me knowing that my parents were dead, even without knowing how...

Beldam: Yes. ( Pulls out the enchanted handbell with an evil smile ) But don't worry, everything will go back to normal after your little girlfriend is gone...

Merita's eyes then widened, and realized what the Beldam was planning as she glanced at where the Beldam's missing hand used to be.

( With the fox plush )

The fox plush sprung to life when it sensed Coraline was in danger when the blue haired girl walked out of her room with the key. The fox plush yipped in distress, and jumped to try to reach for the doorknob, but it couldn't reach it, then suddenly the cat picked it up by the scruff of its neck like a kitten, he carried the plush out the window and to Wybie and his Grandmother's house. They climbed to Wybie's window, the cat puts the plush down and bats at the window to try to wake the boy up, but it didn't work. The fox plush then had an idea, and rammed itself against the window, making a loud sound that caused Wybie to wake up with a slight scream.

Wybie: What the- ( looks at his window at the cat and...tiny fox? ) Cat? And a small fox?

The fox plush kept ramming its head at the window until Wybie opened it and let it and the cat in.

( Back with Merita )

Merita then growled, but stopped when the Beldam rang the handbell. Merita just laughs at the Beldam.

Merita: You don't get it, do you? I'm no longer under your control. Now, tell me what happened to my family before I put you out of your misery.

Beldam: ( evilly and mockingly: ) Oh, child... You and your family had gotten into a terrible crash when you first arrived at the Pink Palace to move in... Your parents didn't make it, and you ran away from it when you heard the sounds of the sirens-

Merita: And my brother, Mero?

Beldam: From what I've heard, he barely made it out with his life, the crash nearly breaking his skull over one of his eyes, leaving him with a nasty scar, but I highly doubt that he remembers you, I mean... Why would anyone want such a weak, pathetic girl such as you for a sib-