Chapter 21

Present day

The fault in our Moirai.

The three goddesses of fate. The legend says that the thread of life was divided into different patterns. The first goddess Clotho, the spinner who spun the thread of life. The second goddess Lachesis, she wove the thread into a pattern, determining each of every being's destiny. And lastly, Atropos. The one who is inevitable. She ends those beings' life by cutting the thread of life. The determiners of their destiny.

If only Young Ro could plead to Atropos, she didn't want her life with Soo Ho right now to be her destiny. If only she could bargain with Lachesis, she would plead that she gave her a different pattern where there were no red strings of havoc that threaded their lives. The word 'if' kept hovering in her mind as she looked at the man who was sleeping soundly in her arms. Yeah, they managed to get back to sleep on the bed. And this time, he didn't leave her alone in bed. Despite the divulgence of  their connections in this case, he chose to be with her. He didn't abandon her. And what made her heart feel touched even more, he didn't blame her. She couldn't get out of his strong embrace. If she moves a little, he would only tighten his grip around her body. She smiled, because it made her heart feel at ease. Because if she could freeze the time, she never wants to get out of his embrace. Ever.

She shifted her position then faced him. Facing the sleeping man next to her. Watching the movement of his chest as he breathed steadily. The scowl etched on his face.

He looked so serious even in his sleep.

It may sound so stalkerish but she could spend a day in bed just watching him sleep next to her, being the very first view he would see when he opens his eyes. Then her eyes went down from his face down to his chest, where she could see the proud marks of the battle from his previous missions. She traced that pattern with her fingertips. Then her lips followed the movement right after her fingers traced the pattern of his scars that scattered off his chest. Giving a gentle kiss to the scar that forever planted on his skin. She felt him stir. Then she looked at his eyes that slowly fluttered open. And his lips curved up into a little smile when he landed his eyes on her.

"Hi." His hoarse voice greeted her.

"Hi." She replied to his greetings. Her eyes still lingered on him. Afraid that he would somehow disappear from her peripheral vision.

He noticed that she may be staring at him, but he clearly knew that something's bothering her. And just like he knew, she tends to keep it to herself.

"Tell me what's bothering your mind right now?" He asked softly.

She was taken aback by his question, was she really that transparent? How the heck could he read her mind so easily?

She averted her gaze from him and took a deep breath and let it out in a soft sigh.

"Do you regret it?"

"What?"

"Do you regret it when you accept this mission to protect me? After knowing that my father..."

His gaze on her softened as he pulled her to him and landed a soft kiss on her forehead. That sweet gesture, she swore her heart skipped a little whenever he did that. As if sex is intimate enough, but the kiss on the forehead is a whole new different level of intimacy. It gave some kind of reassurance, a hope, and the wave of calmness that comes with it. His dark orbs then found hers, and the glimmer in his eyes still lingered whenever he looked at her. Even in his high school year.

"Never." His hand moved to cupped her cheeks then softly stroked it. "I never regret it. Not even the slightest. Even when the truth eventually hurt me."