Chapter 5

Summer 2009

"Anyone up to the mall after school?" Asked Hye Ryeong as she set her tray at the cafeteria table.

"Well, I'm free." Said Jeong Min

"Woah! Daebak! Even Jeong Min is willing to ditch her club! Sure! Count me in!" Add Seol Hui.

"I can't miss this soccer practice. I'm already on thin ice with the coach." Byeong Tae sighed excessively.

"Sorry, I have to help my grandma at the shop because one of her employees is sick." Said Young Ro slightly pouted at Hye Ryeong.

"Gwang Tae?" Hye Ryeong asked, noticing that Gwang Tae is busy chewing his food. Not fully interested in her offer.

"Sorry, you know... basketball practice."

"So? Ditch it for once! Even Jeongmin is ditching her club for us!" Exclaimed her.

"No can do, baby, the match is getting near. I can't miss practice even a day." Said him as he chewed on his katsu.

Young Ro suddenly wondered at Gwang Tae's answer.

The basketball match, can she watch the match?

Will Lim Soo Ho be there?

Of course he'll be there, he's the captain after all.

Well that means there would be a lot of girls who line up to see him.

"This basketball match, will we be able to watch it?" She looked across the table at Gwang Tae and curiously asked. Obviously she is planning to watch it but with a hidden agenda in it.

"Sure, you can! It would be lovely to see you all my friends slash fans cheering on me from the bleachers. Don't forget to bring posters and flowers!" Gwang Tae's answers only earned a disgust look from the girls and a slap on the shoulder from Byeong Tae.

When school was over, they immediately said their goodbyes as they went their separate way. Again, she always walked past the basketball court. This time, Gwang Tae noticed her presence so he waved his hand at her.

She waved back at him, and suddenly she felt something grazing down on her feet.

Again .

She looked down and it was a basketball.

Again .

"Excuse me, do you mind passing that to me?" A soft smile plastered on his face as he said this word to her.

And that voice. It was Lim Soo Ho's.

Asking her to pass the ball to him.

Again .

***

Time passed by as she helped her grandma at the shop. The authentic rice cake shop that has been open ever since 1987. Although the shop is quite small, it has two sets of small dining tables for the customers who want to eat in place. She zoned out as she waited for the customers. It's not that she expects many customers to come at the closing hour. Merely, it was also raining and probably the rain will get heavier later.

The chime of the bell from the opened door startled her. Immediately she said her usual greeting.

"Annyeonghaseyo! How can I help–" She couldn't manage to finish her greeting when she saw who was coming to the shop.

It was Lim Soo Ho.

And he was as surprised as her when he saw her behind the counter.

"You! Oh, hello." He said, still startled to see her. "I remember asking you to pass the basketball to me, twice."