Chapter 23

Present day

"Thank you. You don't have to actually." Said Cheong Ya when she received a packed meal she made earlier in Soo Ho's grandparents' house. It was a simple kimbap, but it was better than nothing since it would be hard for them to find some food on the tanker.

"I insist." She smiled at the doctor in front of her.

They were sitting in a compartment away from the crew. It was uncomfortable. There was no bed, and not even a proper seat. It was just a cold floor and a small window facing the ocean. She watched how the ship crashed every single wave that came through it. If she looked at her phone now, it's been an hour since she departed from Gwangyang. The chilled weather made the temperature in the room drop and she tightened her coat as she watched the agent eating the kimbap in silence.

"How long does it take for us to arrive in Osaka?" She asked, breaking off the awkward atmosphere around them.

Yes, awkward. Because she didn't know her that well, even to call her acquaintance. They hardly interacted to call themselves friendly with each other. The only interaction she had with her was when she checked up on her wounds and when she briefed her and Soo Ho about their plan to escape. The doctor looked up to her after munching the first bite of her kimbap.

"Six hours. We'll arrive approximately on 4." Cheong Ya said. "Why? Need a bed already?" She scoffed as she threw a smirk at her.

"No." Although she couldn't lie that the ride was indeed uncomfortable. The wind energy was getting stronger and it worsened the waves movement as it grew higher and stronger making the ship swayed horribly. And she started to feel sick. But of course she chose to push the repugnant feeling inside her, her pride was too high to let the doctor see her in her weak state.

And her act of pretending to be okay was noticed right away by the doctor. Unlike her, Cheong Ya has been trained to survive in the worst conditions possible even with barely enough supplies to survive. She was used to it, so the turbulence didn't really bother her. She knew the woman in front of her was acting strong but her facial features said otherwise. Her face was getting pale and her lips lost their colour. She rolled her eyes, then she rummaged through her bag then took out a Dimenhydrinate pill and quickly handed it to her.

"What's this?" The girl asked, looking suspiciously at the pill in her hand.

"It's a medicine if you have motion sickness."

Young Ro then took out a mineral water from her bag, then quickly swallowed the medicine. The drug of course won't work immediately, but she oddly felt relieved as her head was getting lighter. "Thank you."

"I would love to take a ferry, but your boyfriend insists on taking you discreetly with this ship. For safety reasons."

Boyfriend?

That got her wondering. There wasn't any discussion about their status in all those times she spent with him, because they were so immersed with the danger around them and the possibility of getting out of it alive rather than thinking about their current status. Sure she confessed her feelings at some point, but then that was it. He didn't confess back to her, oh the irony. But hey, at least they are mutual right?

Oh get your head together Eun Young Ro! You have slept with the man countless times already.

And he declared that he wants to take you on a proper date! 

And those words, "I'll come back home to you in one piece." Means nothing to you, Eun Young Ro?

"He's not my boyfriend–" Was it even right to call him her boyfriend when he never asked her to be his girlfriend?