Chapter 7

Pathaan was casually walking down the corridor of the museum looking for someone. He turns around the corner and spots her.

She was talking to a man -a guy in his late 50s- animatedly. Meghna was looking beautiful, just as she was the day he first met her. He takes a moment to look at her from head to toe. The heels and the high slit of the dress were working wonders.

Pathaan spots her nicking that poor man's key card as he was walking away to greet others. He gives a little shake of his head with a smirk gracing his lips.

Some things don't change” he thought to himself.

Meghna catches a glimpse of someone watching her. She excuses herself and smiles at him.

Pathaan walks towards her. There is a smirk playing on both their faces as they lock eyes. Meghna gives him a once over, and arches an eyebrow appreciatively.

"Amar! Didn’t know you were joining me tonight, ‘I want nothing to do with you’ and all that?" She questions him haughtily.

"I’m not here for you. Roxxon is on JOCR’s radar for a while now."

It wasn't a complete lie. Roxxon and their activities were indeed on their radar. And maybe, just maybe he was a little protective of her still. But she didn't have to know that.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night!" Meghna exclaimed as she turns and speed walks towards the bar. He follows behind her. (Some things don’t change indeed.)

"The same?” She doesn’t wait for a response and turns to the bartender already giving the order.

"Neat." "Neat."

"I know." Meghna finishes looking at pathaan.

"So what’s the plan?" Pathaan asks as they are handed the drinks.

"Roxxon’s CEO has a personal office on the south side of this floor. Where he keeps a ledger, will all the details of their illegal business. You already saw me taking the key card, I have already looped the CCTV footage of that part of the building. All we need to do is go get the ledger. Simple!"  She smiles brightly.

They dump their glasses and start walking speedily towards the south side.

-----

After walking for a couple of minutes, Pathaan breaks the silence,

“Who’s that guy?” He tries being casual about it.

“Hm? Who?”

“The host. I heard him thanking you earlier.” He’s failing terribly to not sound jealous.

“Oh Sam? He’s just someone helping me reach my goal. Why?  are you jealous?” She asks him with a all knowing smirk on her face. He rolls his eyes.

Suddenly they hear some guards walking towards them from the other end. They were talking over walkies and sweeping the halls for the intruder.

Pathaan pulls Meghna inside a narrow, dark space between two office units. The space is so small that their bodies are almost touching. Meghna looks up to find his eyes, at the same time he looks down and there is a tense moment.

They’re broken out of it by the guards walking by. Luckily the guards did not see the couple hiding in the dark.

"We don’t have much time." Pathaan says as he drags her out.

"What the hell did you do now?" She tries catching up with his long strides.

"It's a long story." He says flippantly, as they keep walking.

-----
Author's note: :) stream The Trial on Hotstar. She is amazeballs!