Escape

Everything was set in place. Bertholdt was as anxious as he moved about Libero consistently checking his watch.

He also felt an incredible sadness in his chest. After tonight, he knew it might be years before he saw his father again. If he ever saw him again.

"Bertholdt!!"

He turned to see Gabi and Zofia running towards him.

Bertholdt straightened up. "You will address me as Vice-Captain Hoover"

The three of the stared at each other for a moment before they started laughing. He patted both of their heads.

"Shouldn't you two be in school right now?"

"It's 3:00, they let us go us 2:30" Zofia said. "But we have warrior training soon"

She sounded a bit dejected.

Bertholdt could really emphasize with the young girl. Like Falco, Zofia never really had a choice in the matter. Her grandfather and grandmother had been apart of the Eldian restoration movement. In exchange for their lives, her parents promised that young Zofia would join the Warrior Unit. The Marley military had their eye on her as Annie's successor.

She didn't make the mistake of saying no like he had.

"Well I'm heading that way so we can walk together"

About an hour or so later Bertholdt was looking over the hand-to-hand combat training.

Zeke took a drag from his cigarette. "You sure about Falco? He seems to be struggling a bit on the physical side of things"

Bertholdt watched as Gabi cut his legs out from under him.

"What do you expect they f*cking 10 years old" Bertholdt muttered under his breath.

"What was that Bertholdt?"

"I think he just needs time. Gabi is physically strong but she's not as smart as Falco, nor as level headed as Udo, or rational as Zofia".

"But she has a fire in her. A desire for revenge" Zeke said with a grin.

"Maybe Reiner is still alive" Bertholdt said.

Zeke laughed. "Not with someone as sadistic as that Ackerman at the helm. I'm sure as soon as he became commander of the corps, he gave the armored to someone"

Bertholdt held his tongue. Based on Historia's letter, not only was Reiner alive but he was now working with the Paradis Eldians. He also knew that Erwin had made Hange his successor, which honestly confused him.

"I don't think that Levi is the leadership type" Bertholdt said. "But he his dangerous, both of the Ackerman's are"

Bertholdt never forgot the pain of Mikasa's blade in his neck. Her cold eyes still haunted him.

"Oh yes, Eren's personal bodyguard as you called her." Zeke said sniffing out the cigarette bud.

"Made it hard to get close to him" Bertholdt said.

"And you haven't heard from anyone on the island?"

With a stone face he looked at Zeke, "no sir, I try not to think about those devils."

****************************************************
"Bertholdt your coming to dinner tonight right??" Gabi asked.

"I'll stop by for a moment but I have some business to attend to this evening"

"Guess being an officer has is downsides" Gabi said. "I wonder if Reiner would be an officer now?"

Bertholdt took a deep breath. "I think so. Reiner is loyal and passionate about furthering the Marlean empire."